Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
A buddy and I are going up to Vancouver Island to celebrate our combined 110% of a century on the planet. We'll be putting in a few days at a lodge and several fishing rivers & shorelines on foot. Fly rods, spinning rods, and saltwater baitcasters are all coming along. Really stoked to fish the area.

I'm wondering if any of you have any recommendations on lodges, or otherwise have experience with hotel/b&b/other types of lodging out on the island for those days when we'll be on our own. Heck, any advice on fishing Vancouver Island would be great! Thanks.

Best regards,
Dogwood

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hey Dogface,

Utilize the search functions of the following sites:

http://washingtonflyfishing.com/

http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

http://www.flyfishbc.com/forums/content/?

http://www.fishinginbc.com/approach/fly-fishing/flybc-bcs-number-1-fly-forum-site

The Canucks :canada: can be a bit close mouthed/negative towards US anglers- similar to the WY guys towards Greenies but, if you're using a guide/s, I'd mine him for info.

When are you heading out there? Locations- even as far as east or west coast- change with the seasons- summer runs vs winter runs vs salmon. I think that next year is a Pink Salmon year.

Welcome to Geezerville and Good Luck,

Ratt

PS: You'll need to bring more than midges and calis. :eek: Thinking of frustrating myself at Chatty tomorrow. Maybe we should have a regatta.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ratt!
If I can't fish with midges and callies, I say screw 'em ... actually, if it's anything like Alaska FFing, there will be a lot of eggs involved. If it's a hardware thing, it'll be spinners, spoons, etc. But who knows ... lots of lakes with trout in them up there ... if worse comes to worse, we may be plying the shores with midges and callies looking for trout!! I'm much more thinking it'll be plying the shorelines looking for sea run cutties.

We're looking at mid-September for the Coho run. Should be fewer of us Gringo pukes up there by then! Been looking at a couple outfits up there for the guided part of the trip, that's looking to be the typical 2-3 days of guided fishing. The guys I've been chatting with seem very friendly toward us mixed approach Gringos (fly & hardware, not necessarily C&R by any stretch) ... they've offered us up some local knowledge on what's working, where to go, etc for the period of time that we'll be on our own.

More than anything, out of this thread, we're looking for some recommendations on places to stay when we're on our own, as well as anybody who might have recommendations about good lodges/guides, or even bad experiences they'd like to share. I shall use your recommendations and work my way through some search functions. Or maybe PPark will, since I work for a living

Best regards,
Dogwood

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just spoke to Marc. You might want to consider the Olympic Penninsula for a portion of your trip- you can take a ferry from Victoria, BC, to Port Angeles, WA. I have some good intell, fly shop and guide recommendations for that area. We'll talk when you get back from FL.

Ratt

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We shall consider the Olympic Peninsula for our time on foot/car. Thanks for the input. They speak English there, right? I hear the locals are tough to tell apart with all the plaid shirts. ;-)

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Went to V-Island twice in the '90s. Stayed in Port Alberni. Fished the Somass river for kings and sockeyes. Rented a 15' boat and fished the canal between the sound and the river and caught many 20-40 lb King Salmon on metal. Nothing like a 38lb king on 10 lb mono for a fight. This was mid-late August. Stayed at a campground and ate HUGE blackberries that grew wild. Twas a very good time.

Totally on our own. Drank some beer with the locals and they showed us the way.

·
Registered
253 Posts
We shall consider the Olympic Peninsula for our time on foot/car. Thanks for the input. They speak English there, right? I hear the locals are tough to tell apart with all the plaid shirts. ;-)
The OP can be very interesting and enchanting. You can get lost 15' off the road- especially if your perception has been enhanced. 8) They filmed the "Twilight" movies near the town of Forks and the local extras were born to their roles. Many of the folks who live in the rain forest are very uncomfortable with direct sunshine if they go to Montana to fish. I watched two, local Native American women go to fist city on each other in Forks one night. It was an excellent bout! There are some good possibilities for summer runs, sea run cutts and black sea bass and ling cod in the salt (Neah Bay) during your time frame.

Ratt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts