Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Met up with Nate (Bigassbassman) and his brother this weekend for some icing, and we had a great time catching a variety of species! Saturday I caught perch, bluegill, crappie, and a largemouth, and a pike! Today I got perch, bluegill, and crappie. Everything came on a tungsten toad, tipped with spikes and eyes. Lots of small perch, but I did get a handful of jumbos! The lm was almost 17", and the pike was 33". As always, great fishing with you Nate!

·
Registered
443 Posts
It was a great weekend, Chaz! Thanks for meeting up with us! My brother and I got several flags on the tipup, and it was nice to get one pike, too. It wasn't very big, but my brother had a great time catching his first tip-up pike. Pike was released, and we also got a nice haul of perch - no jumbos for me, but plenty of eaters and millions of dinks. Great time! :)

Tip-up pike:

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
That's a nice fish fry right there! Do you put your fish on a stringer & keep 'em under water?? In the indoor crappie picture, it looks like fish in the water below the ice.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
That's a nice fish fry right there! Do you put your fish on a stringer & keep 'em under water?? In the indoor crappie picture, it looks like fish in the water below the ice.
they tend to float at the top of the hole for awhile after you bring them up (I assume until their swim bladder decompresses) it usually takes them awhile to swim back down sometimes after you bring them up from 20+ feet

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone!

Nicely done sir! No tournament for you this weekend?
I wanted to, but I had plans on trading my truck over the weekend so I didnt register! Ended up trade the truck yesterday, but I still had to get some fishing in!

Really nice, 33' ice pike, bet that was fun after all the pan fish.
It wasn't a monster, but my best of the season! Pretty fun pulling in a pike on a tipup!

I leave them on the ice, and I've got a plastic container I use. Like Matt said they tend to float from their swim bladders expanding, and it can take them awhile to make it back down.

It was a great weekend, Chaz! Thanks for meeting up with us! My brother and I got several flags on the tipup, and it was nice to get one pike, too. It wasn't very big, but my brother had a great time catching his first tip-up pike. Pike was released, and we also got a nice haul of perch - no jumbos for me, but plenty of eaters and millions of dinks. Great time! :)

Tip-up pike:
Glad you guys had fun! I'll have to come fish with you on the front range soon!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts