Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to vega fairly late on 12/16. 30 min or so of sunlight left. Iceintheveins and I hurried out to a spot he found last year to be marginal, but it was close and time was of the essence. He caught an 18" bow right away we entered for the tourney (or will when our pics develop) and shortly after I caught a 16" bow and did the same thing. He then left when the sun went down and I was by myself, not wanting to leave since I just saw a fish. Well, 1 hr later I came back 2 fish richer than iceintheveins, having landed a 14" rainbow and an 18" rainbow. Those sizes are guesses cuz it was pitch black by that time lol and I just estimated them. I had also lost a large fish and two small ones. They were suspended at 5 fow over 13 fow and would come through every 10 min or so.
The next day iceintheveins and I got up very early to fish where we hammered them last week (and last year also). Well, we punched about 30-40 holes along that shoreline, cover, and break in depths from 25 to 8 feet. He saw one fish total. I saw none. Didn't get any bites. We continued along that shore about 100 yards farther down drilling holes every 10 yards in various depths and fishing without seeing anything at all. Finally, I hit paydirt. Dropped down a 1.5" green tube jig tipped with nightcrawler, tightened it on the bottom, and was getting my cleo rod in a hole near by with my vex. Well, I turned around and my tube jig pole was getting hammered. I caught a 16" rainbow. After I got a pic of that, as I was letting it go, my cleo got a bite. I went over and caught a 14" rainbow. I then dropped it back down and caught a 16.5" cutbow. Within 2-3 min that happened. Then met ifishallday and his fishing buddy and talked for a bit. My dad walked down around that time and was razzing us for only having caught 3 total. Iceintheveins then caught an 11" rainbow. We fished this area for 20-30 more min and I had 1 small one on. We then knew we had to make a big move cuz it was not very good right there. When you'd see a fish on sonar, you'd fool around a bit and it would hit, but we just weren't seeing much.
Went to the new spot, off of a rocky point. After about 20 min and nobody seeing anything I thought it was just a bad day. Then iceintheveins' got a bite on his worm pole. He missed it. Right as he missed it, his spoon got crushed. He ran over and set the hook and the battle was on! Landed an 18" rainbow. I drilled a new hole around 17', where the fish were coming through. I caught 2 13" bows immediately then nothing for a while. Iceintheveins continued to catch a small bow here and there. My dad finally got lucky with the fish gods and caught a 15.5" bow. Iceintheveins and I caught many more small 10-14" fish in that spot, then it stopped.
Moved off of another point, and caught some more. always 10-17' deep the fish came through. Iceintheveins caught another 18". I caught several small ones and dam I lost a big trout. Final totals for the trip was me: 19, iceintheveins: 14, my dad: 9
effective lures were little cleos, tube jigs, and stinger spoons.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
sounds like a good day on the water ..er ice
did you camp over at vega or just come back real early
if you camped what are the camping conditions over ther durring the winter

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we camped on fri night. We were supposed to camp sat. night too but we ran out of propane for our mr. buddy heater and we were too wussy to be that cold. you can still camp but you have to pay like 5 dollars or something like that for a primitive site...I don't know if they have hookups to power or water going in the winter but I doubt it.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
so $5 a night for a primitive with no water or facilities in other words if you want it bring it right? can you drive to the camp site or did you have to haul your stuff in and how close to the water/ice are the sites?

thanks for the quick response
roadkill

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
hypo is for you skinny guys. I come prepared!

ive been known to sleep in the open bed of my truck at minus 20 with just a good bag because i was to lazy to drive home

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you can drive to the campsites, at least the ones I saw. depends on the campsite but you can get some fairly close to the ice. wouldn't be an awful walk. Not sure if 5 dollars is the exact price but that is a guess it might be anywhere from 5-8 dollars. if you look at the state park website for vega, they can give you more exact info than I can.
dan, it was probably -5 to 5 degrees during the day and probably -15 at night. Once again guesses.....I'm not fat anymore (in fact I weigh 40 pounds less this year fishing vega than last), so I do have to be more careful about getting so cold :eek: That wind was biting......

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Thats cold! No one not even me would argue agout that! :) Even with your heater you could have turned into a popsicle in the wind!

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts