Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Went up to Vega this past weekend with the GF to hit some late ice action. Ice was really bad around the edges, mostly slush and water for a few feet...After that though the ice was solid, we were about 20 yards off shore and at 2 feet! We got some holes drilled, fished around 15 feet, and crushed it all day!! Glad to get our limit fast and also not have a grinder of a day again on the late ice!

Two other anglers/locals were there fishing about the same distance off the dam. Really nice guys! I spoke with them when they were heading out and they said they had a great day too. Seems that the dam gets bigger fish then the boat ramp. They advised me the ice tournament that was there not too long ago, all top 3 were off the dam.

This may potentially be my last ice of the season (See intro for details), if it was, this was a good way to go out!
Hope you enjoy the video!

Registered
What do you think of the possibility of ice fishing Vega this coming weekend? I went up last week after that snow and there was no sign of anyone having fished on the lake. I decided I was not going to be the first that day to either fish or fall through馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
What do you think of the possibility of ice fishing Vega this coming weekend? I went up last week after that snow and there was no sign of anyone having fished on the lake. I decided I was not going to be the first that day to either fish or fall through馃榿
Probably slim to none...All the edges that day were really bad and with the hot week we just had, I doubt you'll be able to get out there now. The two anglers in the video I spoke with that were locals even agreed that it was probably over after the weekend was up. One of them was a bigger guy and he had to use a board to get off and on so he didn't fall into the slush...Haha if you go up now you'll prob go swimming before you get to the ice! :p

Registered
@TEAM CO.F.F. I saw on your comments that you are considering learning fly fishing here soon! I think that is awesome, it is a great tool to add to your arsenal, and more importantly it is alot of fun once you get past the initial learning curve.

Honestly there is not a better time to try it. I would suggest fishing for stocker bows using leech patterns under an indicator to get you used to the feel of things and as a bonus you will probably catch some fish on the fly rod. Bows tend to patrol close to shore this time of year so you don't need to cast all that far out either. That pond where you and Sam did the one hour challenge would probably be good.Leech patterns are good year round, but work especially well in spring. Black and Maroon are my two most successful colors. Casting is not all that hard either, lots of helpful videos on the subject, but just practice in a park or lawn for a bit before going out on the water.

River fishing is a bit more of a learning curve, and I am still not great at it with my fly rod, but it can be alot of fun. I am more of a stillwater fly fisherman, and I target warmwater species as well as trout.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
@TEAM CO.F.F. I saw on your comments that you are considering learning fly fishing here soon! I think that is awesome, it is a great tool to add to your arsenal, and more importantly it is alot of fun once you get past the initial learning curve.

Honestly there is not a better time to try it. I would suggest fishing for stocker bows using leech patterns under an indicator to get you used to the feel of things and as a bonus you will probably catch some fish on the fly rod. Bows tend to patrol close to shore this time of year so you don't need to cast all that far out either. That pond where you and Sam did the one hour challenge would probably be good.Leech patterns are good year round, but work especially well in spring. Black and Maroon are my two most successful colors. Casting is not all that hard either, lots of helpful videos on the subject, but just practice in a park or lawn for a bit before going out on the water.

River fishing is a bit more of a learning curve, and I am still not great at it with my fly rod, but it can be alot of fun. I am more of a stillwater fly fisherman, and I target warmwater species as well as trout.
Hey Troutbiscuits! Yes indeed we are!! Remy already knows how to a little bit and owns a rod...Sam and I got two as well now...5/6 weight! We're looking forward to learning a whole new way of fishing and I fully agree, it will be a great tool to add to the arsenal. I love learning new fishing techniques and I enjoy every type of fishing (besides bait fishing for cats/carp, too boring for me to just sit and watch)! We are really looking forward to making a video series documenting our progress or lack there of! Thanks for the information, I'll have to look into that. I am 100% GREEN to this flyfishing game so i'll be learning a lot as much as I can. Just hard right now because I would rather go out with someone to have them show me...I don't mind researching and learning on my own but I feel it would be a lot more fun with others...We're still planning out how to do all this but hopefully we start the video series this year. Don't be surprised if I contact you about some stuff.

Registered
Just hard right now because I would rather go out with someone to have them show me...I don't mind researching and learning on my own but I feel it would be a lot more fun with others...
I feel ya about fishing with others. Once all this craziness is over that will be easier. Talking about this inspired me to put out a fishing video actually. I had one hour to fish on Saturday and tried to demonstrate what I was talking about.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I feel ya about fishing with others. Once all this craziness is over that will be easier. Talking about this inspired me to put out a fishing video actually. I had one hour to fish on Saturday and tried to demonstrate what I was talking about.
Loved it man! I'm sure you saw my comments already but this gets me REALLY REALLY Excited!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts