Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm due for a new pontoon this year and I've been looking at a number of different options. I've been fishing from personal pontoons for 15 years now....I'm tired of worrying about puncturing a pontoon, inflating and deflating pontoons, etc. I've been looking online for a Hobiecat on craigslist for a bit but haven't seen one for a while. Then I came across these boats.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Venture-Outdoors-reg-T-Pontoon-Boat/1314513.uts

All the reviews look great, but I've never heard anything about this company before.... Still on the fence. Anyone ever used one of these boats, or a boat made by Venture Outdoors?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Eric, don't know much about those, but if I had my choice of new toon setup, I would def check into Dave Scaddens frameless boats or NFO frameless. Saw several Scaddens in action at Hohnholz 3 last summer, badass rigs for sure!.. Allan

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
i'd say if you only plan on hitting lakes it's all good. however I like the kayaks for lakes, I don't think i'd take that thing down most rivers!

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I'm due for a new pontoon this year and I've been looking at a number of different options. I've been fishing from personal pontoons for 15 years now....I'm tired of worrying about puncturing a pontoon, inflating and deflating pontoons, etc. I've been looking online for a Hobiecat on craigslist for a bit but haven't seen one for a while.
If your looking to get rid of a personal pontoon once you upgrade i may be interested!! I have actually been doing some research on them lately... I need something light enough that i can carry it a mile or so without dying LOL

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I think the Venture would work fine. You sit lower on the water and won't catch the wind as easy as you would in an inflatable. The Hobie Float Cat 75 holds more weight...350lbs vs 300. Something to think about when adding a trolling motor, battery, fish finder etc..

The Hobie and the Venture are both short and won't track as straight as an inflatable..noticed this more when I used to row my Hobie.

I've had my Hobie for 17 years and I expect it will last another 17. No problems at all. Definitely not river rated at all..but great for any lake. I've been in waves where everyone is getting off the lake and I still just bob like a cork...no fear ever of tipping over...just wonder which side of the lake I might end up on. Love my hobiecat.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I will say however that if I had the choice...and this is only having read about them..no personal experience..I'd like to check out a hobie kayak with the mirage drive. Hands free fishing without a trolling motor or battery...and just like using a trolling motor you can go in reverse just by turning the drive around..enabling you to fish backwards with your line out in front of you.

But even used...You're looking at $1000 or more.

·
Registered
48 Posts
They are fine for still water. They are not made for moving water, I wouldn't take them on class I water. Wal-Mart has them on their website for less than Cabela's.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I love my hobie. I think the new ones are worth every penny. I yakked 70 hrs in a week on a trip and my back didn't bother me too much. I jacked it up bad when I was younger on ATVs. I don't think I would have lasted that long if the chair wasn't so nice. The chair has adjustable lumbar support and you can change the angles of the bottom and back of the chair. Plus you can pop it out and sit on a dock rock shore etc. The bottom of the chair folds up and is a standing platform. I could stand and cast in 1-2 ft waves all day. That long trip I was on was with a buddy who didn't have the new one with the nice adjustable seat and he was thinking of selling his to get one like mine. Plus his seat didn't fold up so it had less standing platform. His also felt heavier but i dont know if he had a lil more junk in his. The trailer carts that pop in the scupper holes are also worth their pretty penny. He had a homemade one and it was heavy as hell and took up more room while out on the water. I'll probably get another one this spring if anyone wants to try em out. [email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts