Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strange topic I know!

Just got back from five hours of flogging the water at Aurora Res. to no Avail :( It was dead calm and the only people catching fish were getting trout on worms, on the bottom. I tried all my usual stuff with no results. While i was casting a small Kastmaster, I was day dreaming (of Spinney, Glendo. etc) and let my spoon rest on the bottom for a second in fairly deep water. When I went to lift it a decent sized Perch struck. It got me to thinking how much I wished I was in a boat vertically jigging!

I put on a weighted slip bobber and then tied on a small barrel swivel. Then I tied on a 4' leader to the swivel and on the end a 1/32 oz jighead and a small power grub. I was able to cast a long ways with a 7' rod, but it took forever for the jig to fall thru the bobber and sink to the bottom. So I added a couple of split shot above the barrel swivel and that helped. As soon as I saw the slip bobber lay down, I knew I was on the bottom. Then I just lifted the jig gently off the bottom and the bobber would slide backwards as the jig sank! After a while I got the hang of it and I started getting strikes. They would come as the bobber was sliding backwards and then it would dip. Even though the perch were small, it has me pretty stoked that it will work with lots of different small offerings and I was really able to fish vertically in 20 feet of water from shore!

Has anyone else tried this?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point Hammer! I bought some of the Berkley Power tubes in the smallest size. I figure if i tipped the jigs with maggots the bait would most likely fall off while casting.

I know they have been catching some nice Perch in about 18-20 feet of water off Senac point. I am going to wade out as far as possible and try this again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts