Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i need to get a new vest.does anyone have the Cabelas packrat vest? from the picture in the catalog it looks like it would work for me.i carry a lot of stuff. i dont want a chest pack or a waist pack.the price is right and i dont want to spend $200 on the Simms.i am looking for opinions on quality and durability.thanks in advance

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Hey man, this is a KILLER vest on sale... http://www.dealsonthefly.com/

if you don't see a vest it is because they sold out... only had a couple left last time I checked.. This vest will be gone by this evening probably (that is the way that website works)... but if you want a great all around vest, check it out.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
dang, since I posted it, the last ones sold... They do repeats now and then... I check it out daily, so if it comes back up (this is the second time they had that vest)... I will let you know... Also, Check Sierra Trading Post for their deals on vests.

Sucks you missed that one... Fishpond wickeds!!!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I got the new super guide vest from Simms 2 years ago. Awesome vest. But I just gave it to my son and bought the new Guide Vest. I freaking love it!! I like the set up more and dont like the solid pockets on the upper one. I do however miss the mini magnests that hold my clipper but with the new vest you can push the clipper up out of the way.

It was 129. They last forever, Simms is awesome with warranty. .02$

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just love the Fishpond vests and packs. As a former mountain biker it is basically a camel back turned into a fishing vest. Lots of storage and holds up real nice. I have had mine 3 years and it is still holding strong.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
i have a nearly new Orvis vest that when i bought it a few years ago it was $120. i'll sell it to you for $50.
i can send you a picture of it later tonight if you PM me with an email address, assuming you'd be interested.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just about destroyed my fishpond wasatch after something like 5 years... they just warranty replaced it for me in a week. Great Gear! Great Company!

SH!

·
Registered
71 Posts
The fishpond vest that was on dealsonthefly.com has
been running every 10 days or so. If wait a little bit
it will be on again. I have purchased items from the\website
and is run by fishwest.com and you can go this site and
check out their sales/closeouts. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I have a FISHPOND waderdance fanny pack and I love it! I sent it in early last week for a repair and it was delivered last night. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies
Fishpond gore range vest is my choice
i wasnt to sure about fishpond when i first saw them,but everyone i run into that wears them swears by them

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just an added note the vest i am replacing is a Columbia Henrys Fork 2 that i bought in 1985 .it has been all around the west,40 to 50 days on the water every year.it has finally worn out
i am thinking of getting a picture frame like they put sports jerseys in ha ha
heres an fyi.i think the reason this vest lasted so long is that it has never been hung up in a closet. always laid flat less stress on the seams

·
Registered
368 Posts
I am interested in the Fishpond vest, very unique design. If you have a Fishpond vest, which style and what are the pros/cons to the vest.

I agree, it is great to support local, especially if it makes sense.

FB

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have the Wasatch Tech Pack. I love everything about it. The front "fly" pockets in the front are awesome...I use them to pre-rig multiple nymph rigs so that when I'm out on the water I can easily change out my whole rig very quickly. The pack on back is perfect for storing just about everything you need out on the water...especially if you have to hike in and you want to bring a rain jacket, food, etc... It even has a separate compartment for a water bladder which I pretty much bring all the time with me.

The vest itself also has lots of pockets (some waterproof ones too for storing valuables and electronics) and the vest has a ton of place to put your accessories like hemos, clippers, therm, etc. Again...Fishpond has done it right with their vests. No doubt a fly fisherman was behind the design of this thing.

I suppose the only thing that could be improved with the Wasatch is that it would be nice if the backpack was actually removable. I wrote Fishpond about that a couple of months ago, but really it's not that big of a deal. Great pack! It has totally changed my fly fishing experience for the better. I will never go back to a traditional vest again.

Oh yeah...it's locally made. HUGE BONUS!

Tom

·
Registered
10 Posts
bartendertom said:
I have the Wasatch Tech Pack. I love everything about it.
Same here! The one improvement I think could be made is under the strap where the hemos go in, would have been nice if there was a tougher material sewn in, instead of just the rip stop fabric shell, I punctured a hole in it with my hemos. Other than that the vest is awesome, really like the rod tube holder for the longer hikes too. When you have it loaded down for those long hikes, you can adjust it so the weight doesn't sit on your shoulders, but rather on your waist.

I don't load the water bladder in it for those days when I close to the truck and feels like any other vest, light weight.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts