Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I attended the opening and dedication of the Veteran's Bridge in Pueblo. It was a humbling and memorable experience. They did such a beautiful job on this and it was a great ceremony.

Pueblo is deeply rooted in veterans and veterans affairs.. The city has adopted the name home of heroes and has dedicated a lot of time and money to honor those who have served. The bridge is huge, and from what the speaker said today, the only of it's kind in America. Pueblo county has 19,000 registerd vet license plates and the attendance today proved that they are a tight group who is glad to be represented.

The bridge has the names of veterans on plaques on the top. There are flags and lights and it is simply a great area. If you are ever in town, take the 10 minutes to walk around the river walk and enjoy such a fitting tribute to our troops.

Here are a couple pics from today... blame the quality on my wife!!!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Good post, Oyey. I think it's pretty neat that you chose to attend the bridge dedication in keeping with the spirit of the day. Classy.

Oyey said:
Here are a couple pics from today... blame the quality on my wife!
Seem like really nice pics to me!

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hop said:
Good post, Oyey. I think it's pretty neat that you chose to attend the bridge dedication in keeping with the spirit of the day. Classy.

Oyey said:
Here are a couple pics from today... blame the quality on my wife!
Seem like really nice pics to me!
While I would love to take the compliment of being classy, I cannot. I attended because my uncle, who was like a second dad to me, was memorialized on the bridge.. His name along with about 5000 others are on the bridge. I had a very hard time shaking his memory and I cried a lot... He was a very special person in my life. He along with 4 of his brothers served and went to war. Three of them were there today and three of his sisters... It moved me, and I have a small plan to do a little something to take away the feeling of the day...

One cool thing (and a positive to leave you with, instead of my sobbing)... is they had a jumper with a parachute... He came down with a HUGE American flag attached to his leg...as he approached the landing area which was right in front of us, you could tell both of his legs were prosthetics. It gave me chills then, and it gives me chills now. I met him after the jump, thanked him and said I got the chills from his jump... He said he did too cause it was cold as hell up there!!! What a great person... What a fine example of overcoming. He lost his legs in combat.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Oyey said:
While I would love to take the compliment of being classy, I cannot. I attended because my uncle, who was like a second dad to me, was memorialized on the bridge.. His name along with about 5000 others are on the bridge. I had a very hard time shaking his memory and I cried a lot... He was a very special person in my life. He along with 4 of his brothers served and went to war. Three of them were there today and three of his sisters... It moved me, and I have a small plan to do a little something to take away the feeling of the day...
Yep, just as I thought. Classy.

Way cool about the parachutist, too! I can see why you got the chills.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts