Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to buy a unit but was wondering if anyone can give me info about the lowerance units. They have both flasher and fish finder. Thinking about the x-67. I know the vex-18 are great but the lowerance are $290 and can be used open water. Any info would be great

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have both and the vex is much better for ice.    I also use the vex when I anchor up in my boat.    If I'm moving I use the Lowerance.   I find the flasher on the vex is a lot clearer than the Lowerance.

Dave

·
Registered
935 Posts
Question is whether it is enough better as a flasher to warrant the extra expense, especially considering it sucks for most open water applications.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Are you sure the vex is more portable than a X67-C in the "ice machine" configuration?  Seems little different to me.

Being very budget minded, I got a Lowrance M52 S/GPS model, which is like the M68, but only B/W, and has gps, but not the built-in base map - just marks points in space. Anyway, the unit I got only cost me $150 - minus the $45 of free money had. Got it at Cabelas. I built an "ice box" for it to my own specs, and it's ready to mount up on X-mas, which is as early as my wife will let me get my grubby hands on it (supposed to be an x-mas present - she's trying to kill me for the life insurance, I think).

·
Registered
863 Posts
whats the cost difference? Not looking for large expanded feedback just a simple cost comparison between the 3 main brands.

Marcum
Vex
Lowance

Thanks in advanve. Paul 8)

·
Registered
935 Posts
For "ice fishing" setups, these are about the right normal prices - sale prices can be quite a bit lower.

Vex FL-8 $280-390 (depends on configuration/package)
Vex FL-18 $370-500
Marcum VXR $300
Marcum LX-3 $400
Marcum LX-5 $480
Lowrance X67-C Ice Machine $300
Lowrance M68 GPS/MAP Ice Machine $550 (with built-in basemap and GPS)

Absolute prices are relatively similar, but features and versatility are vastly different. Are the Vex/Marcum flashers enough better than lowrance to justify the sacrifice in versatility? Everyone gets to decide for themselves. Anything else would be un-American.

D

·
0 Posts
Trout-

I used to use a Lowrance X-85 for both open water and ice fishing.  I now use a Vexilar FL-18 for ice fishing and have a couple of the Lowrances (including the X-85) mounted on my boat for open water fishing. 

The Vexilar is not nearly as useful for open water as the Lowrance LCD graphs.  And I think the Vexilar really outshines the Lowrances on the ice.

So...there ya go.  Send me a PM if you want more info.

Don

·
Registered
633 Posts
I agree with Don. Vex on the ice, LCD in the boat. Might as well have good sonar in each place rather than "compromise" sonar on both. Keep in mind that sonar is your "underwater eyes," so you might as well have 20/20 vision! :eek:

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Hey, you guys quit beating up on Cutthroat ;D.

I like my Fishmark 320 for ice fishing! Its not as good as the color thing on the boat but it works well, I know whats going on down there. I've fished under littlemac's FL-8 and watched Dons Marcum, both very nice I might add, but Eagle or Lowrance units are not half bad. There are certain aspects I like being able to see a graph history on my unit.

So there!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Was I being picked on?

In any cases, this is how it breaks down for me:

Vex = circular flasher only
Lowrance = circular flasher, verical flasher with graph, graph only fish finder

Vex = great for ice fishing, no so much for open water
Lowrance = pretty darn good for ice fishing, and as good as any portable for open water

If you have a lot of disposable cash, get the laser surgery and have the best of both worlds. If you don't, a good pair of fashionable glasses can work wonders. Is that analogy too far out there?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Cutthroat said:
Was I being picked on?

In any cases, this is how it breaks down for me:

Vex = circular flasher only
Lowrance = circular flasher, verical flasher with graph, graph only fish finder

Vex = great for ice fishing, no so much for open water
Lowrance = pretty darn good for ice fishing, and as good as any portable for open water

If you have a lot of disposable cash, get the laser surgery and have the best of both worlds. If you don't, a good pair of fashionable glasses can work wonders. Is that analogy too far out there?
Keep on rationalizing! :D :D :D I do the same. I just rationalized myself out of a Winchester Model 12 Shotgun for a new Marcum LX 5!

·
Registered
935 Posts
If all I had to do was rationalize, I'd have that benelli shotgun, the 300 winmag, a 'real' boat, and an assortment of fishfinders and flashers all set up for different types of fishing.  Unfortunately, rationalizing hasn't really put the money in my pocket to get those things, so I go for the greatest values - the most capability for the money...  Although I think they're great, Vex and Marcum flashers just ain't great enough.

And next I will attempt to rationalize a new pickup truck and enough consulting work to pay for all this great stuff! ;D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts