Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my new Vex delivered today. After tons of research and budget discussion, I decided to go for broke (literally), and get the top of the line Vexilar FL-20 with the dual cone transducer in the Ultral Pak configuration.

I'm hoping to now be able to at least hold my own and not have Lake 1177 and Rad completely kick my A**.

I bought mine from Vex directly online and chose their factory reconditioned one. I've always purchased tools and other items reconditioned and have never had any problems. The Vex that I got looks like a store return because of a small scratch area on the main unit on the back rear corner of the unit. I can live with that to save over $70.

If you're thinking about getting a new Vex and you're not sure whether to get the FL-12, or the 20, spend the coin and get the 20. Just my opinion. Either way, having any Vex or Marcum is going to help your ice fishing a lot no matter what you're using.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Great buy. You are going to love it!  Although, I will now have to fish at least 50 feet from you, since my Marcum will cause your Vex all kinds of problems. And remember, you still have to catch 'em!  Here's the truth:...........I will always outfish you, and Rad will always outfish me. That's the way it is, and that's the way it will always be!   ;D  

Late edit!! Just kidding, 'brotha! I've had the edge, but now I'm worried.  ;D  You're a great fisherman, but I ain't bad! It's on!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Ice Fisher,

It sounds like you have done your homework. What is the difference between betweeen the FL 8, 12 & 20? Not looking for a book but why do you recommend the FL 20 over all others? Thanks.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Looked at the site,difference between new and rebuilt is only $70.00 for example

FL 20 ultra--new 509.00 rebuilt 439 propack 479new and rebuilt is 409

fl 18 new ultra is 459 rebuilt is 389 and propack 479 new and 409

Still paying a steep price for something used or shelf worn and being rebuilt, $70.00 is a good savings but wander about the rebuilt system

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
lake1177 said:
Great buy. You are going to love it! Although, I will now have to fish at least 50 feet from you, since my Marcum will cause your Vex all kinds of problems. And remember, you still have to catch 'em! Here's the truth:...........I will always outfish you, and Rad will always outfish me. That's the way it is, and that's the way it will always be! ;D

Late edit!! Just kidding, 'brotha! I've had the edge, but now I'm worried. ;D You're a great fisherman, but I ain't bad! It's on!

LOL! I can't wait to get my arse kicked by you guys! Just a few more months and its on!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lunker, yes the savings was about $70 for the refurbished model. Not a huge savings, but it was enough to pay for the cost of adding a cover, extra rod holder, 2 stoppers, and shipping. The shipping was only $7.50, and there was no sales tax. This unit was very clean and it was not in "used condition". It was as good as new. What I generally find is the reconditioned model of any item from factories are actually customer returns that are sent back to the mfgr. for repackaging. The way things are boxed these days it's impossible for retailers to try and sell them themselves after a customer return. Plus, the factory completely re-inspects the unit and has the chance to run a full set of diagnostics and check it out for quality. Sometimes because of the extra inspection, the product quality is better than it ever was.

As far as the bells and whistles on this model vs. their other ones, it had enough to make it worthwhile. With the dual cone transducer of 9 and 19 degrees, I will have better sonar with the smaller cone in shallow water. Plus the smaller cone angle will help me get a better bottom reading when fishing over very steep drop offs like they have at Granby. This unit has a split screen feature which lets me see the entire water column on the right, and then just the bottom 6 or 12 ft. on the right. This is a huge selling point for me.

I keep and maintain my gear in great condition and am using things in my fishing that I've had for over 15 years. I'm going to use this Vex a ton every season, and will probably get a decade of use out of it. With the idea of using something like this for so many years to come, it makes sense to spend the money and get something you will be happy with for the long run.
Chris

·
Registered
829 Posts
Ice Fisher

Came across this site, Reedssport.com. They have the Vexilar FL 20 Pro Pack II with 19degree ice ducer and 12 degree for $459.95. These are new and with free shipping.

Really don't know that much about them and the extras. But this seems to be a good price. Is there a adapter that can be used on a boat. Would like to be able to use the Vexilar for than ice fishing is possible.

Your opinion would be appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Lunker said:
Ice Fisher

Came across this site, Reedssport.com. They have the Vexilar FL 20 Pro Pack II with 19degree ice ducer and 12 degree for $459.95. These are new and with free shipping.

Really don't know that much about them and the extras. But this seems to be a good price. Is there a adapter that can be used on a boat.  Would like to be able to use the Vexilar for than ice fishing is possible.

Your opinion would be appreciated

Thanks
reeds does a great job, they are fairly cheap and very fast and dependable. i've ordered a couple of jiffy augers and a couple of vexilars from them in the last couple of years with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine is the ultra pack, I like that configuration better than the pro pack, it does cost a little bit more though. I especially like the battery re charging location in the front and not having to manually disconnect the terminal from the back like you have to do on the pro pack.

If you go to Vexilar's website, they have a lot of accessories for using the Vex from a boat. Depending on what best suits your needs and your boat, they have it. I think I may go that direction and get a boat transducer for next season.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts