Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Re: Vexilar

The FL-18 is a must,you'll catch more fish and know where they are in the water column. I've had mine for 2 1/2 years it works great. Don't go cheap and get the FL-8... The bottom zoom on the FL-18 is great for ice fishing.

FC

·
Registered
16 Posts

Have an FL-8 and don't know how I caught fish before it, as for the zoom on the FL-18. Never fished that shallow whear I need to worry , I could see my jig and the fish under my A## anyway. But for deep water and cloudy water , just like the old american express commercial says never leave home without it.

·
Registered
24,511 Posts

I came across this...I think I am in...I have a huge jar of change that may cover this purchase...wonder if they will have any specials at the Bass Pro Shops ice clinic today...well any way check this great link out...

http://www.vexilar.com/help/tips/tip013.html

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I agree. It is great for finding suspended fish.

·
0 Posts
I heard about them,how much are they and can I use them on open water from the boat??

·
Registered
765 Posts
I saw an FL-18 at Sportsman's for $299. Has anyone found it for less elsewhere? I think this may be the year that my wife needs one of those and gas auger for Christmas. Oh, and my daughters might need a good sled too.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
pikester said:
I saw an FL-18 at Sportsman's for $299. Has anyone found it for less elsewhere? I think this may be the year that my wife needs one of those and gas auger for Christmas. Oh, and my daughters might need a good sled too.
Its nice that you have all those people you can buy great gifts like that for otherwise you would have to buy them for yourself! :)

Dan

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Do you guys think this is a better way to go than say an Under water camera like an aqua vu or atlantis?
Flies4Life...buy the Vex...went to the Bass Pro Shop ice fishing extravaganza today...you will use the Vex 100% of the time and a camera maybe 20%...and that came from the experts...

·
Registered
217 Posts
I used a vex last week with Jaymz in WY.  He has the Genz pack, which is one model down from the 18.  He said he wants to get an 18 because they work better.  I was pretty impressed with the one he had.  Easy to see the difference between your jig, bottom and fish.

You might check out the Dec. In-Fisherman.  They do a nice comparison of products available.  Sooner or later I will just break down and buy one on a whim...please don't tell the wife! :-X

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
You mean Please dont tell my wife how much I paid. :p

·
Registered
935 Posts
I am in favor of fishfinders in general, flashers for ice fishing, and all that. I've got one that I can start using if X-mas would just get here soon. I fished with a group of people yesterday, though, and one Vexilar FL-8. You can see fish when it looks like the bottom suddenly moves up a couple of inches (typically following your jig), but the Vex had nothing to do with fishing success. With the Vex, you could see the fish and be frustrated by your inability to get it to bite, but without it, you just jigged until you got a bite. The non-vex fishers had much more success on this occassion! I suspect under different conditions a flasher would help out more, but in this case it seemed only to help confirm that your fishing frustrations were warranted (you KNEW the fish were there, AND not biting).

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Well I just did it...went to Gander and used the 10% off letter from the website and it was on sale to start for $379...had $80 in gift certificates...Donald was there and helped me...so I am stoked...now I can spend money and still get skunked...oh well...as a wise philosopher said on this site...

oooohhhhhh shiny!!!...

Now I have to go fishing tomorrow after work...

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
cutthroat: I bet by your descriptions you were fishing for lakers. There are tricks to the trade to get them to bite once you get them on the vex screen. It is helpful for getting lakers to bite, but it is not necessary to find lakers as they are almost always glued on the bottom anyway.
However, it is great for suspending fish like crappies, rainbows, and kokanee.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Zman, are you still out on the ice looking at the pretty colors? Where's the report on how many fish you caught with the vex? We just gotta know!!! Looney

1 - 20 of 21 Posts