Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious why Vexilars are better than other locators? I have a couple of locators which I am willing to sell if the Vexilar is more accurate. If anyone owns one and is willing to explain to me the benefits I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I'm not sure if you mean what makes vexilars better than other three color flashers or better than the standard graph type such as Eagle that people generally put on their boats. What kind of locators do you have now?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now I have a Bottomline Fishing Buddy, and a Hummingbird LCR 400, I am not familiar with a "three color" locator.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Vexilars have a totally different display than the types you have now, visiting their website will show you what they look like. They are far better than the graph type for ice fishing mainly because you can adjust the sensitivity to allow you to see your lure as well as any fish under you. They also have an instant readout, I believe yours take a few seconds to show you a fish. When you see a fish come thru, you see where your lure is also and raise or lower it to put it right in his face. A couple of little jigs and you usually have a fish on the ice. This is especially handy when fishing for fish that usually suspend, like kokenee or crappie.They show water depth, but do not show the contour like yours, in a boat they would be great for jigging while sitting still, but I think yours would be better for moving around trying to locate schools or ledges, dropoffs, etc. When moving around on the ice you can check depth without drilling holes by setting the transducer on the ice and pouring a little water on it. This helps you quickly find channels, dropoffs and whatever depth you want to fish in. They are pricey, but Vex. has been around for a while and they make a good product. I've had mine for 13 years. You can get a used one on ebay, some come with a 30 day warranty. Hope this helps. 

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got one just last week and used it at 11mile. I was off the ice by 0930 with 10 Kok. They work like a champ!! I would recommend you get one if you fish at lest once a week because of the price.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I appreciate the response! I checked out Vexilars website and ordered brochures. I hope it gives me a little more insight before I make my decision. I am just getting back into ice fishing so the Vex sounds like an outstanding tool because if I want to check depth with my locators I have to drill a hole first (with a hand auger), that wastes a lot of time and most important...energy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts