Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After fishing @ Granby my vex stopped marking my lures and any fish at 70' deep. This never happened before, so I sent the unit in to get checked for any problems. Turns out that it was my transducer that was bad. I got an early model tri-beam and they are replacing it for free! So if you have a tri-beam transducer with the red colored ring on the bottom half of it, they will replace it for free. I guess the plastic on the cover was prone to cracking, I didn't see it at 1st but mine had one small crack on the side.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, mine is cracked as well. Just sent Vexilar an email so hopefully they do as you say they will.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Good info.. I have that transducer.. now I have to worry about it.. sigh

·
Registered
936 Posts
Those transducers were no good. I had one on an FL-22hd. I ended up selling it getting the LX-7. I wish I would have went to the FL-28 instead.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the transducer for deep water, like at Granby or Gross. It helps sharpen the image up and be able to see more of whats going on down there with the narrower cone angle.
For fishing in around 30ft or less, there doesn't seem to be much difference in the cone angles, I just pick which one looks the best of the tree settings.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I had one good tri-beam, one bad. They had problems at first, too true.

My original 18 came with a 12 degree cone I think. Since I might fish from 6' to 90' or more, the tri-beam made sense. I have the tri on one, the 12 on the other.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got my new replacement ducer from vexilar in the mail. The new one is a different size and shaped a little different than the old one and it has a groved bottom. The old one had a smooth bottom.
I'll test it out on the ice this Wed and see if it works better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts