Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am a very happy camper I bought one...even though there were not a lot of fish through at Elevenmile on Saturday...I bought the pro pack FL-18 from Gander Mountain (used the 10 percent off letter on this site to save $38)...the DVD with it is outstanding...you do initially get caught up in watching the screen...on Saturday I am trying to watch both my strike indicator and vex screen...when I remark to Joe...fish on the Vex...it appeared orange off to the side...and I am doing play by...its getting oranger...and finally red and then deep red (all the while watching the screen and not my spring bobber)...and I again remark...hey it's deep red I should be having a bite...Joe calmly informs me "hey dumb arse your pole is bouncing all over...I think you have a bite!)...it's ok I was blond as a child...yes I caught the fish...so it is easy at first to get caught up in watching the screen...the controls were easiey to read and operate...the split screen is a joy where you can see the entire range of view on the right and the bottom six feet on the left...it is really wild to throw an old meal worm down the hole when changing lures and watching it slowly drop to the bottom...this is one awesome product...if you can get your hands on one I heartily recommend it!!!...

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You getting kickbacks from Vexilar now, Z? Just teasin' ya...
...I know I was skeptical for years...Looney sold me at the Ice Expo at Bass Pro Shops...if I can run one...anyone can...I just thought if anyone is on the fence about getting one...I would help them get over!...and I wish I was getting kickbacks...

·
Registered
862 Posts
I actually got to use a vexilar on sat. as well it was my first time and I had no idea how they worked until then my opinion on it was I thought it was great and im sure I wasnt using it to its full potential as I was just learning how to read it I know soon as I get some extra cash ill be looking into a nice piece of equipment like that but my question is....is it basically just made for ice fishing?can you use it on open water on a boat? I guess you could use it on a boat but wouldnt be any good unless you were jiggin...??correct or no? and I suppose you could use it to get structures off the bottom is this all right? if someone could go a little in to detail about it I would be greatful! thx

·
Registered
935 Posts
The Vexilar flashers are not as useful in open water as on the ice. The typical graphing-style finders are more useful on open water, but if you're anchored and jigging, a flasher can work well in open water. There are some that have both flasher and graphing mode that are useful year round, and under a greater variety of conditions.

From all I've read, people seem to think the Vexilars are the best pure flashers, but some people want more versatility if they are going to spend that kind of money.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have fished with a Vex and I think they are awesome.... They really help you identify what kind of bottom you are over as well.

But for Ice Fishing I bring my little Fish Hawk that runs on double A batteries. It is extremely portable, is very cheap, and it has a fish alarm on it! I am mostly interested in the depth anyway, and Many times when it marks a fish......... Wait.......Wait...... There goes the strike indicator!!! Down the hole!

Tim

·
Registered
935 Posts
Perhaps he was referring to the Hawk Eye portable depth finder. It looks like a flashlight, checks depth, and has a fish alarm (doesn't tell you what depth the fish is at). Same company does make a fishfinder unit that is handheld that tells you fish depths, but it is slow and doesn't work so well in the cold.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Zman did you know you can buy a vexilar direct from the vexilar factory? If you go to their website you can purchase a new or reconditioned for less and they will pay the s/h. Both new & reconditioned have the same two year warrenty. I bought a fl-8 genz pack last year w/ battery indicator and magnifer lens for $150 & no s/h. aqua-vu also does the same. I thought this might be some good info. for others looking to make a purchase.

·
Registered
804 Posts
DanDANthefisherman said:
I love my LX-3. I like being able to ajust the zoom to any level. Not just the bottom 5-6 feet. The LX-5 is out now, and I've heard its great.
Received mine last week. It is awesome. The super fine line capabality gives you .75" seperation over the entire water column and the true three color display gives great target definition without any blending. I am pretty happy. The only thing in question now is its durability. Dan for $40 you can send your LX 3 in and have it upgraded to a Lx 3 tc. It really helps with target seperation.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I know, but I can't be without it for more than a week. If I would have sent it in in November, I would have got it back quick. Its peak season already. Probably take 3-4 weeks now. I'll send it in at Ice Off at the Fork. Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sorry!!! Yes it is the Hawkeye!! I got it at Radio Shack about 3 years ago for around $50? I think they are a little nicer now with more features and go for about $100. You may be still able to get one of the older models on Ebay or something... Works great though!!

Tim

·
Registered
862 Posts
cool thx tim I did find the hawkeye and figured that was what you were probably talking about and yea the ones I found range from 60 to 100 bucks does it work well in cold conditions?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Man, the sad thing is that I just saw that Strikemaster had their version of the flashlight-sized sonar with fish alarm on sale for $50 !!!  I think the special is over, now.  Too bad.

You can find the Hawkeye DF2120PX new online for around $50 dollars, if you search. It's being cleared out, because they have a new model, now. I'm thinking about getting one for quick depth checks before I drill my holes, and for finding drop-offs, etc...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts