Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering why people don't use reular fish finders. They can view the same area. and i have seen them where you see the jig under them. And the fish move through. Is it because of the battery life. Freezing up.. Or just easier to have around and watch the lights??

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
I'm sure the "experts" will chime in, but my take on it is that the Vex is really sensitive, much moreso than regular fish finders. Don't know how true that is, but after watching one on the ice, I'm convinced.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen them work on ice. And they are great. I was just wondering. I mean with a continuous read out the Lcd's give you. Maybe not quick enough?

·
Registered
157 Posts
The Vexilars are real time. What you see on the vex is what is happening at that exact second. Regular fishfinders send out 1 pulse every so many seconds so what you see on your screen may have already happened. With the vex, it sends out many pulses every second.

I guess I could go on but.............

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Im sure others might know better, but a buddy of mine just called the manufacturer of his open water finder and they said the screen is only good and will stop working at freezing temps. I know my little portable one doesnt work for ice either. Maybe some will.

You might want to check with the manufacturer of any finder you want to use and see if they have any temperature related information they can give you. In my experience, its just the cold that messes them up.

The fishing buddy is good for ice and has an LCD screen similar to the other finders, but the fishin buddy has an "ice" setting that my other finders do not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts