Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy a home video camera. Don't know much about them. Remember the ones that sat on your shoulder and you placed an entire VHS tape inside of them???....well that's about where my video camera technology peaked.

Looking for HD capable around $300. The wife thinks it's for the birth of our first child...but I think besides family stuff, there is some potential for some fly tying or fly fishing use somewhere down the road. I don't do facebook, twitter, or my space....so armed with that info what would you suggest?

Thanks,
John G.

·
Registered
31 Posts
For pure point & shoot simplicity, a Flip HD is hard to beat. If you can afford the $$ and the learning curve, a DSLR will give you a lot more options down the road. It's tough to find a good HD camcorder for under $450, but if that's where you're headed, I'd look at the Canon Vixia line. Or you might consider the Sanyo VPC-FH1A...only @ $225 on Amazon or the Sanyo VPC-SH1 @ $335.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
I'll give another vote for the flip. We use outs a ton because it is so tiny and convenient. I will tell you this John, You don't need much, it will not be something you likely use and use...just something to catch moments. The nice thing about the flip is simple and small.

We bought a digital camcorder and it sits in the closet... the flip is with us everywhere and I believe they make one that is water/shock proof! ;)

S

·
0 Posts
You are expecting your first child ?!?!? Great news if so ! My video camera experience is sthe same as yours, the news crew sized ones is where i jumped ship.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Silent_Light said:
You are expecting your first child ?!?!? Great news if so !
-Yes....46 and expecting my first...due in 4 weeks.

-Thanks for the replies....I can go more than $300 and not afraid of the learning curve (semi-tech savvy)....I just thought that sounded like a nice price range...had no idea HD's start over $400....that's why I asked you guys. I'm clueless on this purchase. I appreciate the help.

John G.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've been looking myself lately. The Flip is nice, but for about the same price I think the Kodak PlaySport is the way to go, plus it's waterproof to 10 ft or so...the Flip isn't at all. For FF I want the waterproof one.

Here's a package for 180 bucks...

http://tinyurl.com/26cay8q

·
Registered
145 Posts
Congratulations John!! Kids are wonderful.

I remember buying a video camera after my first son was born. Back in those days we recorded on the large VHS tapes. The unit I bought (it included the capability to record TV) was around $1000. Isn't the modern technology terrific? Less money and much better pictures. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Something else you might consider is looking into a new cell phone. I have Sprint for service and got the new Evo 4G phone for taking pictures for my website. The camera is 8MP with flash with video recording that goes up to 720p and an HDMI output on the phone. They way I figured is I have a phone on me all the time and this way you have it when needed. I have a digital camcorder, digital camera and they both are in the closet when I need them. You also get navigation like a Garmin and all the internet you need. It also can become a wireless hotspot but that costs an extra $30 a month.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I'd get one with a hard drive, more storage then memory cards and easier to put on your computer and edit... which will be the next step.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Hard to recommend on video: our camcorder is circa 2003 (got it as part of a random drawing in a sales contest - has the little DV tapes - nice at the time but batteries are a pill! Used it to record our wedding in '05!). We just pulled the trigger and got our Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 - 14 megapixel camera that does 720 p HD video and gets about 3 hours on a 4 gig SD card. Rechargeable battery, HDMI out, all that jazz. Nice and compact with huge screen. Video quality is better than the wedding video... I feel bad, it's sitting there in it's little case... the Olympus goes in a tough, cheap, small case and needs little baby-ing... the camera, I mean... ;)

Makes the ole camcorder look pretty silly by comparison. Main reason for new camera was that old HP cam no longer liked to save to memory cards - all 4.3 MP of it. And not water or shockproof - ours is enough to go swimming with - saw them using one for underwater pics on "The Event" last week. Camera was on sale at Best Buy last month: listing right now online for $299. Your call - this thing does *everything* include make you look good - seriously! I don't know if 'Randy-proof' is a qualifier, but so far, he hasn't killed it yet!

Congrats on future baby, John. That's very exciting for you. Give our best to your wife. Congratulations, and we want pictures!!! ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I just got a flipHD about 3 months ago. So far, I really like it. I haven't played around with it much, but everything I've tried is really easy to do. Wahoo made a good point though, it's not waterproof. That Kodak thing he linked seems pretty cool, as long as you get decent video. If you're interested in making the flip waterproof, here's a case you can buy for it $33:

http://www.amazon.com/Flip-Video-Underwater-UltraHD-Cameras/dp/B002OT4NN0/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285695276&sr=8-1 (hope this link works)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sanyo Xacta WH1, it is HD and shoots video and stills. It shoots underwater up to 10', yes it is water PROOF, has a zoom that is awesome, etc.... I bought mine at Wolf Camera, but you can find them online a lot less then your price range. Also I have mine mounted on a ram mount for my motorcycle and 4x4 road trips.

Sanyo is a product of SHARP, they make great stuff.

http://www.camerakings.com/products/Camcorders/FlashMemory/10608026/VPC-WH1/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts