Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-O7lfSBSmY

My nephew hooked up with a huge marlin off Newport Beach in California while trolling a LuckyCraft lure. Fought it for over two hours and he said it dragged him close to eight miles. He figured it was in the 200+ pound range and almost double digits in length; also said it made three jumps.

After the first video, there's a part 2 video which briefly shows the marlin swimming next to the kayak.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
That's crazy, but cool.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Was he fishing for marlin? Seems like he'd have to kill one to get the hook out from the position of a yak. What else does he usually catch? Yak fishing in the ocean is a man's game.

For the lazy - here is the only interesting 2 seconds out of the 6+ minutes of both videos.

http://youtu.be/pS1RiaCwI7c?t=3m47s

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I love SoCal so much! The fishing has been insane the past couple summers. Kayak fishing out there is something I've always wanted to do. Every once in a while they'll get lucky but usually they catch stuff like yellowtail, calico bass, sand bass, barracuda, etc. But, the last time I was down there fishing, there was an El Niño that changed everything up and we were catching species like bluefin and yellowfin that you normally have to go down into Mexico for.

Here's a shot of part of the deck from my last trip

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I love SoCal so much! The fishing has been insane the past couple summers. Kayak fishing out there is something I've always wanted to do. Every once in a while they'll get lucky but usually they catch stuff like yellowtail, calico bass, sand bass, barracuda, etc. But, the last time I was down there fishing, there was an El Niño that changed everything up and we were catching species like bluefin and yellowfin that you normally have to go down into Mexico for.

Here's a shot of part of the deck from my last trip

Awesome picture, I'm going on a 15 day long range trip out of there in Feb.

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Cool vid... LMAO at Tangler's 2 second comment. Nice he got to see the fish boatside before breaking it off.. I assume he would have been trying to release it anyways...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts