Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://vimeo.com/125296223

Is it just me, or is this dude using a super short leader to pluck these guys from the banks?
I use my 6wt to skate bugs close to shore for warm water strikes, but I'm not changing my leader length. Standard 7-9 feet for me.
This guys looks more like 5 or less. I rewound and paused a few times....

Thoughts?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I generally just use a short stout section of 10lb fluro, about 6ft or so if I'm casting to structure at shoreline. With bigger bugs I find that it helps to punch them out there and muscle through hang ups and vegetation.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I think with that much structure/weeds etc the fishes field of view is going to be much less than we typically see here in CO. So the fish is less likely to see the flyline even if you use a short leader. I will be trying a shorter leader for fishing one of my favorite front range lakes that is very weedy and brushy. Should make it much more accurate and easier in the wind.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I fished one of my favorite warm water spots tonight and was reminded why I use 10lb short leaders...debris everywhere from the lake rising over the past week. I did hammer the white bass though! Pretty fun on a 3wt, next time I'll post some pics - didn't realize my go pro was dead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts