Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to fly fishing. I'm well equipped .... My issue is seeing clearly while fishing. I can't see details in water (fish) while wearing my contact and standard sunglasses so I'm thinking about getting RX sunglasses. Any suggestions on polarized RX sunglasses?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I get my hearing and vision issues taken care of by the VA. As the VA here in Grand Junction does not have a vision section they outsource their patients to the local community. I have used Gray Eye Care on Wellington for my vision needs. While I get my normal glasses though them at no cost, I ordered a pair of prescription sunglasses from them that I have to pay for. They are polarized and great (for driving as well as fishing). I imagine going to any good eye doctor you can get a prescription for polarized sunglasses that will fit your needs. May cost a bit but well worth it.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Go prescription sunglasses.
Mine were $350. Tri-focal lens.
Wrap around frame, side shields and polarized.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to fly fishing. I'm well equipped .... My issue is seeing clearly while fishing. I can't see details in water (fish) while wearing my contact and standard sunglasses so I'm thinking about getting RX sunglasses. Any suggestions on polarized RX sunglasses?
My recommendations are 1.Costa 2.Maui Jim 3.Oakley they are also the top 3 most expensive RX sunglasses that I have used, $500-$850 before insurance and discounts. My $850 Costa's cost me $225 after insurance and discounts plus clerical errors on the optometrists part. Make sure you get manufacture lenses. Most Optical stores use their own labs to make the lenses which are way cheaper in cost, so you may have to request they send them to the manufacture, but BIG difference in quality especially for glasses that wrap. Go to Cabelas or any sporting goods store and try out the glasses with your contacts outside. They do not send them in for RX lenses so you will have to find an optometrist that carries them or can order them for you.

I am new to fly fishing as well but have found that sunglasses are helpful only on flat clear water. I am fortunate to have friends that are trying to teach me to read the rivers and terrain along the banks during the muddy runoff waters. Now I "see" fish where I think they should be!

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Lasiks...and then pick whatever sun glasses you want...easily one of the top 3 things I have ever done...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts