Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently landed. I surprisingly got through security check points with 2 strung reels, a bunch of hooks, egg sinks and lures with treble hooks no problems or questions. I will be here for 5 days. I have done a little research prior to landing. I am very close to arsenal park/reservoir. I would love to try there as it seems as they are heavily regulated and hold large fish. If I could have some help about where else to fish? I am looking to catch large fish such as carp, bass and catfish. Trout and pike would be cool too but I am not very familiar with catching them lol. What place is not too far, in a safe area and not packed with people who would be watching you all the time? Any additional tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance
Anthony

·
P I K E
10,268 Posts
Denver metro area look at Chatfield Reservoir or Cherry Creek Reservoir! Lots of carp and smallies!

Forget what the class clown posted!!! I cleaned up your thread for ya!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
If you go for trout, Remember to avoid what I call the "Texas Heave". You have to set the hook quick on a trout, but don't waylay it like you would a Bass or anything you go after in the gulf. Use a slow to medium pace retrieve unless the fish is swimming towards you. When a trout wants to fight let her fight. Don't horse a trout!

Now most likely when you first start fishing for trout you will catch stocker rainbows. You will think they are small, but you will still want to show and tell your friends you caught a trout from Colorado. You may want it to look more impressive than 10 inches, So one thing every new trout fisherman from Texas should learn is the proper stiff arm photo technique.
Good luck and welcome to our magnificent state!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I thought the Texas Heave was the result of mentioning Romo after too much Tex-Mex and Lonestar Beer .

Welcome to our beautiful state Dirty Frenchie!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you go for trout, Remember to avoid what I call the "Texas Heave". You have to set the hook quick on a trout, but don't waylay it like you would a Bass or anything you go after in the gulf. Use a slow to medium pace retrieve unless the fish is swimming towards you. When a trout wants to fight let her fight. Don't horse a trout!

Now most likely when you first start fishing for trout you will catch stocker rainbows. You will think they are small, but you will still want to show and tell your friends you caught a trout from Colorado. You may want it to look more impressive than 10 inches, So one thing every new trout fisherman from Texas should learn is the proper stiff arm photo technique.
Good luck and welcome to our magnificent state!

Haha I'll keep that in mind! I don't even think I have the right gear for trout. I love fishing with plastics. And as far as fly fishing goes. My expertise goes as far as watching a 20min video of a guy going back and forth with his rod.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice Fordo!

Hey Frenchy,

What activities are you gonna be doing that you don't want to be watched? :)
Some legal stuff over here haha jk. Idk I just imagined like being in a public setting with kids and adults walking around and not making it peaceful lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought the Texas Heave was the result of mentioning Romo after too much Tex-Mex and Lonestar Beer .

Welcome to our beautiful state Dirty Frenchie!
Haha thank you! I brought a cowboys tshirt. Don't care too much for the team but it's a comfortable shirt. Will I be mauled by broncos out here haha jk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great! Thank you for the advice!

I'm looking at cherry creek. So far it looks the most attractive. What parts of the lake should I fish? Not asking for your honey hole but a good place to start. pm me if you like.
Thanks!

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
You may want it to look more impressive than 10 inches, So one thing every new trout fisherman from Texas should learn is the proper stiff arm photo technique.
For Olympic Gold Medal stiff arming do a search of fishing reports by Slayerfish...Slayer is the Michael Phelps of stiff arming!...go go gadget arms!...

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I just imagined like being in a public setting with kids and adults walking around and not making it peaceful lol
Welcome to the denver metro area. Did you travel here to fish? If so you Fd up. Colorado fishing doesn't have ish on texas, at least when it comes to the species you mentioned. What are you hoping to catch at cherry creek? I live 5 minutes away and haven't been there in months... You could target some walleye at night. Chatfield is a much better option at least it has smallies. If I were you I'd go fish the arsenal, don't expect any giants though. Any bass fishing or catfishing you manage to discover in 5 days won't be comparable to anything in TX either way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome to the denver metro area. Did you travel here to fish? If so you Fd up. Colorado fishing doesn't have ish on texas, at least when it comes to the species you mentioned. What are you hoping to catch at cherry creek? I live 5 minutes away and haven't been there in months... You could target some walleye at night. Chatfield is a much better option at least it has smallies. If I were you I'd go fish the arsenal, don't expect any giants though. Any bass fishing or catfishing you manage to discover in 5 days won't be comparable to anything in TX either way.
Awesome! Texas is difficult to fish at least without a boat

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Awesome! Texas is difficult to fish at least without a boat
Colorado is worse,especially cherry creek lol We have northern strain largemouth bass here vs the Florida strain largemouth you are used to. Combined with our short growing season and lack of management and/or stocking the largemouth bass fishing here is pretty pathetic in comparison. We do have a lot of fishing opportunities you don't have, just not really in the metro area. I know guides are pricey, but if for some reason you got cash to blow I'd be looking into a guide for whatever species you'd like to target. probably something that needed to be done in advance though, don't know how those guiding services work...

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I thought everybody in TX had a boat. Where do you live?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Haha I'll keep that in mind! I don't even think I have the right gear for trout.

a gold 18-1/4oz kastmaster and a silver one are all you need for rainbows. what you need is a different month. there are trout in Chatfield, you're probably not gonna see many of them. go up where it's cool if you want them. even when it's cool, it's the wrong month.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
For Olympic Gold Medal stiff arming do a search of fishing reports by Slayerfish...Slayer is the Michael Phelps of stiff arming!...go go gadget arms!...

Yep, Slayer does well in many disciplines:

Gold Medal: Crack Pounder

Gold Medal: Eleven Mile Stiff Armer

Sliver Medal: Butcher

Gold Medal: CF Fishing Reporter.

Gold Metal: Metal Hucker.

I'm sure i'm missing a couple..........

1 - 20 of 22 Posts