Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, My elbow has me to a place where I really shouldn't type for a few weeks. That said, do any of you know of any good software that uses voice recognition to type? How hard is it to get it working?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
My buddy has been using Dragon Naturally Speaking 9
http://www.nuance.com/dragon/index.htm

It took him forever to figure out how to get it working, but since he did, he loves it, and uses it all the time.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Started scanning the website, looks like they are up to 11 now <shrug> not sure how much of a difference there is.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I think Dragon Naturally Speaking is pretty good. In the version I used, there was some initial stuff you had to do (read a bunch of different documents to it) to train the software to recognize the subtleties of your voice but it worked great after that. There were a few things that it would screw up on, such as names or words that sound the same but are spelled differently, but for the most part it could understand the word you were trying to use when put in the context of a sentence.

I haven't played with the newer versions but I'm sure it has improved in the five years or so since I used it and I think it was darn good back then!

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
X2 on the Dragon Naturally Speaking software. I have never personally used it, but I used to help a guy who was going to start up a computer repair business...a real computer geek. And that is what he recommended.

D.J.

W

·
0 Posts
Some guys at work used to use Dragon Speak, but most have gone to Quick Scribe which requires a typist.

It was always funny to see guys forget to turn off the Dragon Speak and start talking trash, or just shooting the breeze, and then see their past 15 mintues of bull in written form.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
I literally said this to you the other day... Sucks your elbow isn't getting better. I don't know of any software, but I have seen some older versions of microsoft office (word, excel, etc) which offer it for free.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Manboobs said:
I literally said this to you the other day... Sucks your elbow isn't getting better. I don't know of any software, but I have seen some older versions of microsoft office (word, excel, etc) which offer it for free.
I know you said this, that is why I started the thread!!! ya jerk.

Coleman, I have seen a doc and she has given me pills, and therapy options. I am trying at all costs to avoid a steroid injection. I think I am going to purchase the Dragon! Give it a shot. I type so much it may be worth getting just to do letters and reports...

Thanks everyone... yes you boobs.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Why not get the shot I had one in my shoulder and after the first 2 days of massive pain as itworked its self around and thined out my shoulder was pain free for the first time in years. Unfortunatly I started to do too much to fast so I lost all the help it gave me (sucks to have to go back to work).

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well folks, I got the voice recognition software that you all recommended and it is simply amazing. Regardless of the condition of my elbow I will be using this to write the majority of all of my reports can't believe I haven't use the sooner. It will be nice to learn all the functionality but in less than two hours I have this thing doing exactly what I needed to do. As soon as I learn how to edit better and teach it the way I speak, I think it will be a smashing success. Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
by the way the entire last post and this one were both done using the recognition software in less time than it would've taken me to type.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Oyey said:
Well folks, I got the voice recognition software that you all recommended and it is simply amazing. Regardless of the condition of my elbow I will be using this to write the majority of all of my reports can't believe I haven't used the this sooner. It will be nice to learn all the functionality but in less than two hours I have this thing doing exactly what I needed to do. As soon as I learn how to edit better and teach it the way I speak, I think it will be a smashing success. Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
dragon is good. also check this out - software as a service all via internet. http://www.nvoq.com/

this stuff has made great improvements over the past 5 years so it works well if you are willing to train it.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It will type F bombs. If you train it to. So far I've trained it to say, lots of naughty little things, just for Hobie. ;D ;D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts