Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5wt maybe a 6wt... General trout fishing mostly nymphing. I'm also looking at the hydros from orvis. I wanted to see if any one has experience with this long term.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
goodtimes said:
5wt maybe a 6wt... General trout fishing mostly nymphing. I'm also looking at the hydros from orvis. I wanted to see if any one has experience with this long term.
I love my new 6wt. Hydros, but I've only gotten to fish it 4-5 times. I can't wait to fish it for the purpose intended(caprs)! ;D

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Personally, I would get the VXP because of price. For trout, that rod will be great, and you won't see or feel a 200 dollar difference between the two.

I also think that the fastest of rods do not fight fish well and pull hooks a lot. I prefer a slower rod for fighting fish and casting more delicate, which is far more important that distance in CO.

The Scott A3 should be considered too I think. It casts so easy and is softer, therefore easier to handle large fish.

I have not fished or casted the Orvis, but hear mixed things... On the good side, super light and variable actions to suite. On the bad, I have heard of them breaking a lot.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I casted a Hydros a few times. It's insanely light and as accurate as can be. Also, their warranty is ironclad.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have a 5wt helios and a 6 wt hydros and really like both. After fishing these and then picking up and using some of the others on the same day you can really tell the difference. But really if you can borrow a rod for the day and fish it you will be happier with the outcome. I have fished the z axis and it is a great rod but just too fast for me. I agree with Oyey and like a little softer presentation. But on a windy day it will cut through the wind. Both are a lot of money so be sure before you lay down the cash........

Bob

·
Registered
263 Posts
I fish a zaxis and it is the best rod I have used so far that fits my style. I have Orvis rods as well and they are great too. Not sure on the customer service for Sage, as I have not had to use it yet.

I have a 5wt and I nymph fish the majority of the time. It is fast like the others say and it cuts through the wind great. Many of the places I fish throughout the year are somewhat windy most of the time. So, this rod is my preference.

Like the others say it really depends on what type of fishing you do. I am not too hung up on how far I cast, as I am mostly a sight fisher and short line nympher. I don't really fish lakes much or chuck streamers much, so if that is what you want to do, the ZXL or other rods may be better for you.

I think if you choose any of these rods mentioned you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I bought a XP 4 wt from someone on here and ended up w/ a bent guide this last summer. Sent it into Sage to have it fixed, decided to ask them to re-epoxy all the guides at the same time...got it back in @ 10 days...I was happy w/ the service and turn around time.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
goodtimes said:
Has anyone used the sage 99?
I have fished that rod and it is nice for what it is intended to do (high stick, Czech nymph). It casts fine, but not really designed for graceful casting. Great rod and designed perfect for it's intention. That said, I would never spend a lot of money on a rod for high sticking or Czech nymphing because you wont be casting it much and really, if you are not casting, any broom handle will do.

One other major suggestion I have is to consider buying my G-Loomis GLX Streamdace. That is one sweet, powerful rod. It is a 4 wt, but fishes much more like a five. It can handle nearly anything any river in CO can dish out. I would be willing to let you test drive it as well. I have a 4wt Sharkskin line I will sell half price as well. I am asking $350 and that is nearly half of retail. You wont find a better rod. I just have too many that serve the same purpose, and I prefer a little slower rod.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I haven't used the Sage 99, but I have a Loomis, a St Croix, a couple Orvis rods, and even a few older Fenwicks, and for my money the best all around rod available is the Sage RPL. They are no longer in production by Sage, but you can find them on e-bay very reasonably. the 9'5wt Sage RPL is soft, but has enought power to throw streamers in most conditions. A big wind may require a step up to a 6 or so, but other than that I have used that rod for a long time and love it.

Of course, a big part of any fly rod being the right rod is how does it feel in your hand. different people cast differently. I have a long, sweeping casting motion that "fits" that Sage rod. If your casting motion is short and powerful, you may want a stiffer, faster rod. I would take some of the suggestions here and try some different rods out. All of the fly shops will let you take it outside to see how you like it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My son is going through the selection process and is down to the Z axis and Heleos/Hydros. If you are a Orvis fan the Heleos and Hydros are the same blank. The Hydros is just about $300 less because of different guides, reel seat and no carbon fiber tube. In fact Orvis would have never produced the Hydros except for the economy.

When you are talking about the Orvis I assume you are talking about a tip flex as that has almost the identical feel as the Z axis.

Word on the street is that within the next month or so Orvis will announce that if you purchase a Heleos or Hydros you will receive one of the new reels that they are coming out with.

I own two Z axis rods ( 4 weight for small streams and 7 weight for carp and large streamers). I think they are great rods. The Orvis feels like it could punch through the wind a little better but I have never had a problem with the Z axis.

Customer service, Sage typically has a 2-3 week turn around off season but it can go to 5 weeks during fishing season.

As for weight, if you don’t already have a good 5 weight, that is probably the best all around rod to have here in Colorado at least for trout.

All the common premium rods are great rods. No matter the brand. It still just comes down to which one fits your casting style. Instead of getting hung up on brands, cast every brand and see which one fits your casting style best. If you like the Z axis you like fast rods (Stiffer action)

·
Registered
120 Posts
If I were looking for a rod these days and had narrowed it down to a Z-axis or a Streamdance.........I would go with the G-Loomis GLX Streamdace hands down. Better feel....better warranty...more power.....nicer components used in the build. You HAVE to like really fast action rods though to be looking at either of these and must cast any rod you are thinking about prior to buying it. Fly rods are a 100% personal choice......but you do get what you pay for in the end. I will be upfront too in saying I am not a Sage fan at all, heck you would be better off getting a TFO BVK rather than a Z-axis IMHO. Good luck with your search ;D

·
Registered
733 Posts
TL Johnson has a new rod coming out in the 380 dollar range...I really liked it and think it compares well w/ those rods.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I talked to the guy at the fly fishing show from TL Johnson about a 12wt it looked like a nice rod. I know nothing about these rod Wahoo have you fished any of there rods. Also the hatch fly shop in Pine CO has a 5 wt sage TCX for 450 thats a killer deal for one of the best rod out there I want it bad.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts