Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I saw the topic earlier on waist high waders which I have been wearing for the last five years. There have been quite a few times I wished I had full length waders and I am gonna throw down some dough. Price really isn't to much of a concern.

I have looked at Simms, Patagonia, Orvis and Cabelas. Orvis I know has great customer service but alot of negative user reviews have turned me off.

Redington has some sweet SonicPRo waders for around 350 but at that price I am thinking I would be better off with Simms.

Anyway, guess I am looking for some personal expierence with waders and opinions to help me with my decision.

The G4 zip downs seem sweet but $700. Really?

Thanks in advance for any repies

·
Registered
125 Posts
You should go with Simms...you will honestly get what you pay for in my opinion. A year ago when my Orvis waders started to leak I stepped up and bought the cheapest pair of Simms that I could afford..I bought the Blackfoot waders ($149) and I figured they would last me till the end of the summer. They are still going strong after 100+ days on the water and plenty of abuse. If you're looking for something more on the high end side and you want a zipper, the Freestones with the zipper I'm sure would be a great option. I honestly believe that you can't go wrong with Simms even with the hefty price tag.

·
Registered
596 Posts
DuckHunt said:
You should go with Simms...you will honestly get what you pay for in my opinion. A year ago when my Orvis waders started to leak I stepped up and bought the cheapest pair of Simms that I could afford..I bought the Blackfoot waders ($149) and I figured they would last me till the end of the summer. They are still going strong after 100+ days on the water and plenty of abuse. If you're looking for something more on the high end side and you want a zipper, the Freestones with the zipper I'm sure would be a great option. I honestly believe that you can't go wrong with Simms even with the hefty price tag.
My blackfoot waders started falling apart on day 1. I would get higher end Simms next time.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Poudre Hound said:
DuckHunt said:
My blackfoot waders started falling apart on day 1. I would get higher end Simms next time.
If money were no object, I'd go with Simms all the way. I have a pair of blackfoot Simms waders with about 60 days on them and I've never had an issue. But if I had more money to spend on them, I'd get the higher end ones as well.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Simms... My G3s have over 200 days on em with no leaks. First set of waders that can handle my big arss comfortably and not leak. The most I ever got out of other brands was about 100-125 days.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't get me wrong money comes into play but I am ready to spend what it takes to finally get some quality waders. I am leaning towards the g3. Has any one had any expierience with Patagonio waders? Thanks for the responses fellas. You are confirming what I have been thinking.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
smellzalilfishee said:
Don't get me wrong money comes into play but I am ready to spend what it takes to finally get some quality waders. I am leaning towards the g3. Has any one had any expierience with Patagonio waders? Thanks for the responses fellas. You are confirming what I have been thinking.
720fly loves em... and I am sure as soon as he gets on here, he'll tell ya why (it may take just a little enterpretation but you'll get the point!)... I have never heard anything bad about them....

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool Oyey, I look forward to hearing what he has to say. I know there is a store down town but I don't know if they sell waders.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Talked to a guy at Anglers All and he said they are not going to carry Patagonia waders due to the high amount of blow outs. Good thing they have a good warranty.

·
Registered
180 Posts
smellzalilfishee said:
Talked to a guy at Anglers All and he said they are not going to carry Patagonia waders due to the high amount of blow outs. Good thing they have a good warranty.
From what I heard Patagonia hired the head designer from simms and their new line is a complete revamp of what they had. I've had their old design and they blew out in less than a year. I'm thinking about trying out the new ones though.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
fly_guy said:
smellzalilfishee said:
From what I heard Patagonia hired the head designer from simms and their new line is a complete revamp of what they had. I've had their old design and they blew out in less than a year. I'm thinking about trying out the new ones though.
The problem is they aren't Gore-Tex, and they're still made in Asia.

Simms are proven, and I don't see any sense in trying something else. Simms has given me the best customer service i've ever had.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I have always been a simms guy and stand behind their products 100%. I always buy the top wader a company sells...

I decided to switch to Orvis then heard less than great reports and so I have switched to Cabelas Guide. I got them on a super sale for 169$

Call me stupid but imho the waders are very good so far. I only have 2 years on them and they still seem new. I used my last simms for 9 excellent years.

.02$

·
Registered
180 Posts
@ Pete-G, you are totally right. I've had countless friends that are never short of completely satisfied with their Simms waders so why I ever bought or looked at other waders is beyond me. Hell I remember a friend blowing the feet out of his old Simms guide wader and sent them back to Simms where they put new booties on for $35.

So I guess the only question is G3 or G4’s?

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
fly_guy said:
@ Pete-G, you are totally right. I've had countless friends that are never short of completely satisfied with their Simms waders so why I ever bought or looked at other waders is beyond me. Hell I remember a friend blowing the feet out of his old Simms guide wader and sent them back to Simms where they put new booties on for $35.

So I guess the only question is G3 or G4’s?
G4's are too expensive, heavy, and hot. Too many layers. The best all around waders are the G3. You won't be disappointed with them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts