Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair of stocking foot neoprene waders and felt souled boots. My sons both have boot foot neoprene waders one with felt souled and the other non felt souled. Do you all think these would do for wintertime fishing in and out of the snow? I have heard the felt will cling to the snow and I will end up about 10" taller by the time I make it to the river.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I have had the issue of snow and ice buildup on felt soles, and it can be a problem...its hard to get off and can be pretty slippery both in the water and on the rocks. my next pair of wading boots (for the winter) will be RUBBER SOLED with STUDS...dont wear these in the drift boat, the owner will most likely give you the smack down as they will tear up a deck, but for ice and rocks they will work good. check out cablas, ive seen a few rubber soled boots for sale in there that look decent...and they are cheaper and will work just as well (if not better) than some of the more popular big named brands.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I used felt soles last winter and didnt have any problems with them. My father in law had some hard soles last winter and busted his butt alot sliding. He has felt soles this winter lets see how he does, maybe its just a balance issue.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
My last boots have the metal cleats built into the sole and I think they are way more slippery know. Kinda like having little ice skates on/. my next pair will only be felt.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I mainly fish in the winter- I have felt soles- and I end up about 10" taller, I would buy rubber with spikes, but I wear a size 16, and $ is always tight.

·
Registered
16,531 Posts
The only time the snow builds up is when it is fresh,I just kick it off every 30 ft or so.I dont use the neoprene anymore,I use the real thin supplex stuff.Just wear good thermal poly underneath and it is as warm as neo.A heck of a lot more comfortable to walk in,BTW.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use felt boots with stream cleats on them. If the banks are icy I will wear ice cleats.
Winter is often the best time to fish a river because the trout gather in the pools and are hungry. Winter fishing usually beats summer fishing for me.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. I guess what I will do is go out this winter in my waders/boots that I have and see how they do for me. I have never fished in the winter so I am looking forward to it. Can't wait to get a picture of my sons fishing with it snowing. WOOOOHOOOO is it wintertime yet. lol

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts