Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use front zip chest waders. If so what do you think what brand do you use. They advertise ease of putting them on which really doesnt matter never had a problem putting on normal chest waders. Need a new pair of waders and Im looking for the ease of taking a piss without having to take half my gear off to take a squirt.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I just got a set at Christmas and so far so good. The ONLY reason I got the zipper model is Sierra Trading Post didn't have my size in the regular front ones... I gotta say, the ease of getting in and out of them is nice and the one time I pissed with them on, it was great. The prices on Patagonia waders at Sierra Trading Post is unreal low. A quick search on the web can usually get you a 20%-30% off coupon. I got my zipper front waders for around $240.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oyey found a code for $250 what size did you get. The only thing they have close for me is XL King. Im 6'3" 250 wondering if the king will be to big.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I am 6'1" and 240 with a size 11 wide foot. I got size L king. They fit sooo good. My buddy who is a tad more portly than me fit in them fine too. I should note that I have short legs (32 inseam) and a long torso... The legs are plenty long and the booty is a tad big. I think you could wear the same size but not positive. Go check out their sizing chart on their website, it's spot on.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I bought the "Redington Sonic-Pro Waders - Stockingfoot, Front Zip" from Sierra Trading Post early last year in size LK. The only reason I chose King is because they didn't have "L". I'm about 6'1" 190lbs; wear size 11 street shoes. While the waders fit well, they do have some excess in the chest area. However this extra space has treated me well as I often find myself scaling rocks and other terrain where the extra space makes it easy to move about.

I use the zipper from time-to-time for the obvious reasons; taking a whizz stream-side and digging something out of the interior pockets. However IMO having a zipper isn't worth a bunch of extra money. It would be nearly as easy just to undo a suspender and drop the waders down quick. Also note that in my experience the zipper fronts on waders are often very stiff which makes them more of a pain to unzip quickly.

Right now STP has the "Patagonia Rio Gallegos Zip Front Chest Waders", which I would purchase, but they don't have size L-L so I'm out of luck as I'm not sure I want another King.

If you decide to order some from STP and need a coupon, PM me. I have a few now; one for 25% off.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am 6'1" and 240 with a size 11 wide foot. I got size L king. They fit sooo good. My buddy who is a tad more portly than me fit in them fine too. I should note that I have short legs (32 inseam) and a long torso... The legs are plenty long and the booty is a tad big. I think you could wear the same size but not positive. Go check out their sizing chart on their website, it's spot on.
Oyey sounds like both of us could loss a few pounds lol :)

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
I got some neoprenes with the zipper once and they ended up leaking near the zipper. I have some flyweights now minus the zipp. Just pee in my waders now-

·
Registered
72 Posts
zipper waders

For what its worth, I bought the redington sonic pros on a pro deal when they first came out. I decided to get the zipper because it was like $50 more. At the time I thought it was probably a gimmick and didn't think it would be that great. I'm on my second pair now and I don't think I'll ever buy a pair without a zipper again. Not only is the pissing part great but they are much easier to get in and out of and you can open the zipper up to cool off if it gets too hot. It's a lot easier to get layers on and off as well. The first pair of redingtons had a weak zipper which failed after a year or so but I sent them back and they replaced for free with an updated pair that had a much beefier zipper. I've had zero problems with this pair and they are on their third season now. If you do get a zipper, be sure to zip and unzip all the way like the instructions say otherwise a weak spot will develop at the point where it often stops.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I picked up some of the Patagonia Rio Gallegos zip-fronts for 41% off a few weeks ago after my Freestones finally bit the dust. I never cared about the zipper, but that was the only style that still had my size (Med/Long). They are way more roomy in the top than my Simms were, so the zipper makes the front a little stiff and poochy and I'm hoping it breaks in a little with use. The zipper definitely helps with getting them on and off and taking a piss without taking off my pack, but I'm still not sure I really care if it's there or not.

·
Registered
356 Posts
No fish is worth pissing on yourself.
You obviously haven't heard of the old native american tradition whereupon each fishing season was started by submerging thyself in the water and urinating to ensure a bountiful season's harvest.

I've taken a modern approach on that; tinkle in thy waders to ensure good luck ahead.

Give it try!!

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I picked up some of the Patagonia Rio Gallegos zip-fronts for 41% off a few weeks ago after my Freestones finally bit the dust. I never cared about the zipper, but that was the only style that still had my size (Med/Long). They are way more roomy in the top than my Simms were, so the zipper makes the front a little stiff and poochy and I'm hoping it breaks in a little with use. The zipper definitely helps with getting them on and off and taking a piss without taking off my pack, but I'm still not sure I really care if it's there or not.
same here my freestones seen better days and ordered Rio Gallegos zip but they are xl king hoping they dont look like one of those inflatable sumo suits.

·
Registered
438 Posts
not sure what you guys are talking about. I wear chest waders; just reach down and whip out the big snake over top of your waders and let fly. who needs a stupid zipper

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I paid something like $500 for my Simms waders some years ago. Way more than I wanted to spend but they performed as advertised. I treat them very carefully. 8)

Just saw that Discount Fishing has Carrington breathable waders on sale right now reg $160, selling for $60. That's sounds like a heck of a deal. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts