Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need new boots.wore out my simms freestones,looking for opinions good or bad on what you all are wearing.i know that felt is not banned yet but it could happen.i am not sure about the rubber soles . i need all the traction i can get. i trust you guys and gals more than some salesman at a shop
thanks for your replies

·
Registered
883 Posts
Go bearfoot best traction ever! Seriously this topic has been covered about a billion times, you need to do a search unless you have spacific questions.

S

·
0 Posts
Just tested a pair of the new Reddington Skagit River boots ( $99) - for the money they are pretty nice, full rubber sole has excellent traction, fit is ok but for the dough there are sometimes small sacrifices. They come in "True Size" - boot is adjusted to street shoe sizing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've tried the simms freestone rubber soles and absolutely hated them. Might as well be wearing regular shoes. I'm sure with studs it is a little better, but they can pry my felt-soles from my cold dead hands.

What do you mean you wore them out? the felt? the actual boot? there are replacement felt kits and shoe goo works wonders. I've re-felted mine, and the hole I have in the toe is filled in with goo. They work just as good as new.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
You know, I hear so many criticisms of Korkers, but I have had great luck... Mine have 220-240 days on them and I have gone through two pairs of soles and have my third on. The reason I chose this boot is ONLY because of the fit. I have very wide feet and the Guide Boa is a wide boot that is light and fits me perfect. A couple years back I decided the most important thing to me was comfort, even if it came at the price of less durability. I walk a ton in my boots and I am a big dude... I want to be comfortable. I have a very straight, proper gait, so this may account for the durability, but I just could not ask for a better boot. But I have heard three horrible reviews for every one like mine, so I am hesitant to tell folks to run out and buy em....

·
Registered
18 Posts
i picked up some Korkers recently. I have both felt and rubber soles and can change them without any tool right at the river after hiking in. cant think of anything better! why more people to dont wear them i dont understand...

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I give a thumbs up to Simms rubber. I added about five star cleats (which are easily removed) per boot and they are awesome. The cleats are almost flat so the rubber has most of the surface area and the cleats are there when you need them. Personally I am over felt. They suck to hike in, clump snow and mud and every thing else you walk upon. I have seen a minimal loss of traction with the rubber but they will feel different and you will have to get used to them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am very happy with my Korkers. I've used them a little over a year and have zero complaints. Very comfortable, easy on and off, and I've done fine as regards traction with both felt and rubber soles.

·
Registered
198 Posts
since you have simms, why not continue with the new updated model with the vibram sole? i've had my guide boots for two years now and although a bit pricey, the best $200 i've spent on equipment! i still haven't figured why folk's are saying they have no grip and you slip and slide? no such thing and that's before i got my star cleats and studs. i chose the guides because they have the best ankle support. like a good hiking boot in and out of the water. i fish over 100 days a year. getting another pair when this model is discounted/discontinued!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Tried em and hated em. I will continue to bash. Why are folks saying that they have no grip and they slip and slide? Because they have no grip and they slip and slide. I continue to wonder if the proponents of the vibram soles work in the industry and are just trying to downplay vibrams' ineffectiveness.

I will wade through deep fast current if I think there is any chance it will get me on more/bigger fish. I regularly put myself in some sticky situations and have taken plenty of spills. For those of us who need the most grip possible, I would not recommend the vibram at all. Period.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I have the Vibram and they do kinda suck. Their good quality boots but I tell you what they are slicker then Hogshit on the Rado.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Well I don't work in the industry. Just a fisherman who has used the rubber for a while and I do not agree what so ever. I guess the bottom line is for you stick with felt. I will continue to use the rubber because I think all around they are just better. Period....

·
Registered
198 Posts
smellzalilfishee said:
Well I don't work in the industry. Just a fisherman who has used the rubber for a while and I do not agree what so ever. I guess the bottom line is for you stick with felt. I will continue to use the rubber because I think all around they are just better. Period....
What he said...

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am one more Korker fan. Had mine for 3 years, and the only drawback is the shrink as they dry, but nothing that a little crying and beating my forehead on the pickup hood won't cure, till I can get in the water and they relax again. BTW am old with crappy feet.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I will say this about the korkers, they are comfy. I have the cross currents which are low end. My man complaint is that they fell apart! The soles never fit quite right and they disintegrated. Maybe the higher end ones are more durable. Now, I just buy a 30 dollar pair and use them for a year or so.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts