Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Frequent browser of these forums, but I've recently taken up fly fishing and moved to Longmont... need some questions answered that I can't seem to find on these fishing area's websites.

Is wading allowed at either of these locations? I am looking for somewhere nearby that I can get out in the water and practice casting (and hopefully catching) in the evenings to get ready for weekend river trips.

Thanks for your help and I welcome any other places to go. I am on the west side of Longmont.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I don't know the answer, but the first place Id check would be the regs, then maybe call arks department. If nothing else head out there, even if you cant wade, you can still fish....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went over to Golden Ponds to check it out. On the park sign it states 'shore fishing only'. Certainly this means no belly boats, and I assume it means no wading?

Looks like a fun spot to go after work if the wind isn't too bad.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I also live in Longmont. Last year (before the flooding) I would fly-fish the St. Vrain. In town, up to lyons and up either canyon. I haven't been out this year, the state of the river is just depressing, but I would still recommend fishing the river. Good place to practice your casting and reading the water to locate fish (the smaller water is less intimidating). Last year was my first year fly fishing and with help from the guys at Laughing Grizzly (HWY 287 and HWY 66) I was catching browns in no time! I highly recommend stopping by and talking to them for general advice about fly-fishing the area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been meaning to make it over to that shop - I've heard good things!

Recently I've been sticking to pond 1 and have had some good luck with bass.

Out of curiosity where did you start in town when fishing the river? I was thinking about fly fishing the river but the flows are WAY high right now. Once it calms I will give it a shot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry, been outta town fishing Alaska the past week. In Longmont I haven't had a ton of luck, usually head up to lyons then up either fork, fish pretty well. The only place I've tried in town is actually at the golden ponds, just headed over to the river and fished up from there. But like you said the flows looked pretty crazy on my drive into work so I'm going to target still water for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Also there is access to the river on the Longmont side of Lyons before you get into town, that can fish pretty well. But like I said 9 times out of 10 I head higher (better views/more strikes)

·
Registered
3 Posts
The guys at the Grizzly sell a St Vrain map that details where you can fish, park etc. and where you can't. Lists the portions all through Longmont too, pretty handy actually. It's in their map racks by the register, I recommend it but it predates the flood, so you still have to go and eyeball the water. Everything's changed now, Damn flood.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts