Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
This…Aventik Fold-able Wading Staff. I have one similar, it’s so old I don’t know what brand it is, but it slips on the wader belt, light weight, yet amazingly strong. I hardly step in the water without it any more….but I just turned 70, so my balance just isn’t what it used to be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Howdy!
Specially designed wading staffs have some decent upgrades, but a set of trekking poles should work just fine. Just make sure to create a leash/tether to attach to your belt to keep it from floating away when you are not holding it

·
Registered
176 Posts
During the 40 some odd years of fly fishing Elevenmile Canyon, I would occasionally find, especially in the upper regulated section, pieces of willow branches beavers would gnaw off for food. I would collect ones that were at least five feel long and roughly the same diameter as a broom handle. I used these for staffs.

They all came in gnarly shapes which, with chew marks, makes for a unique staff. They are durable. I never treated them with anything. I bought bicycle handle bar grip replacements (not the foam type but the hard rubber ones), screwed a #2 (I think it's a #2) screw eye in the top for attaching a tether permanent tether. You can decide how to do the tether. A copper pipe fitting was my choice for a tip. I trimmed the bottom of the staff so it would fit tightly then added a small screw.

I want my staffs to be about 5' long. I attached a split ring (like for keys) to the screw eye then connected a tether to the screw eye. My staff was always on my left side because it keeps it out of my casting right arm and, my tether was never longer than my arm. This kept me from having to follow the tether to the staff and to keep me from tripping on it. You simply locate the tether and retrieve the staff for a move. I've always used a chest pack so I attached a plastic "D" ring in a convenient place if there was no place on the pack to which I would attach a snap hook. The hook was at the loose end of the tether.

You won't win any awards for these and if the Fly Fishing Fashion Police are around, you may want to hide till they leave. You won't find anything like this in a movie like, "A Yuppie Runs Through It".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts