Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in the last little bit I've had a couple longer hikes to fish and caught things I want to keep. Walking back out with fish on a stringer is a pain. Yesterday I got into some big trout and carrying 15lb of fish suuuucked except that one was a pub by a mile. I've changed from tackle bag to backpack but it's basically full. Anyway what do y'all do for hiking out with fish? Best way to carry and keep clean/fresh? Not talking hours but say 45 min hike max.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does the pack have accessory straps? I'd think there'd be a way to secure an insulated lunch box or a soft cooler to the back or bottom

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
So you are saying that the average post cleaning weight of your back country fish is 3.75 lbs.... Or are you keeping more than 4?

Anyway the only time I keep fish is if I parked close enough to carry my 30lb pontoon boat. Or they are little overstocked brookies. But generally i do catch and release on fish I have to hike to.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you are saying that the average post cleaning weight of your back country fish is 3.75 lbs.... Or are you keeping more than 4?
on this particular case, yes to both. in WY you get 6. Here and there I also end up carrying the wife's catch. this weekend was big fish.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Glad you are having some success. Plan ahead, and in your pack bring along plastic bags and one of those re-useable freeze packs. Don't keep more fish than you intend to eat fresh.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Filet them out. Probably only 1/3 the weight that way.
if not less than 1/3. I've thought about that, but often I'm fishing till the last minute then trying to walk with my last drop of light. I also like clean water for the filet process. I suppose I could filet them and then do a good wash once back to camp.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I use a large backpack, one like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Internal-ALUMINUM-Backpack-Backpacking/dp/B000F34ZKS/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1496145664&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=Teton+backpack&psc=1

Just put em in a trash bag. Plus when you have a trashbag with and dont catch anything, there is always trash to be cleaned up.

If its kinda hot out, you can soak some grass in cold lake water and place it in the bag to keep em cool longer. And always have a cooler ready with ice in your vehcile on planned harvest days.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
On amazon google backpack cooler...fillet them as you catch them...doesnt take more than a minute a fish...you dont have to de-rib them...and have a frozen gatoraid sized bottle of water...or a small cheap space blanket if you dont want the backpack cooler...you can wrap the fish in a zip lock bag, the frozen bottle...and wrap all it in the space blanket...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Two brilliant suggestions biggie and zman!
In my fumble fingers the filleting takes a few minutes more than a minute :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts