Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out today after dog walking duty. Yes, I am a dog owner now. Not sure how it happened.

This place is in the Denver metro area. It is a mid-sized pond, and it has 100% natural walleye reproduction.

I got a smallie and this guy (five even on my new 15 pound Boga, thanks Cher) on a Lucky Strike RC jerkbait (the shameless Megabass rip-off, which I have found to be a great producer, bad Karma and all) in the gold/orange belly pattern.

My next bite straightened out the hooks. So... replace the hooks if you buy one of those baits. I was using a soft rod, the fish powered some line and *pop* that was that.

Anyway, I weighed a fourteen pound walleye for a kid of about ten a couple years back from this place, so this is not exactly a giant, but what the hell. Better than Z is doing this year. Bwahahaha.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Went out today after dog walking duty. Yes, I am a dog owner now. Not sure how it happened.

This place is in the Denver metro area. It is a mid-sized pond, and it has 100% natural walleye reproduction.

I got a smallie and this guy (five even on my new 15 pound Boga, thanks Cher) on a Lucky Strike RC jerkbait (the shameless Megabass rip-off, which I have found to be a great producer, bad Karma and all) in the gold/orange belly pattern.

My next bite straightened out the hooks. So... replace the hooks if you buy one of those baits. I was using a soft rod, the fish powered some line and *pop* that was that.

Anyway, I weighed a fourteen pound walleye for a kid of about ten a couple years back from this place, so this is not exactly a giant, but what the hell. Better than Z is doing this year. Bwahahaha.

You always look really constipated, Saul. What is up with that? I have landed multiple ginormous pike on them stock L-E-S trebles. They are totally bomber. Don't sweat it.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol wtf kick a man while he is down. Fishing for bass and stick a 5lb eye, not bad!
I was just fishing. Knew the eyes are in there.

Z needs it. I heard he was wallowing in self-pity. My record is 18 consecutive blanks, he might as well try to break that!

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You always look really constipated, Saul. What is up with that? I have landed multiple ginormous pike on them stock L-E-S trebles. They are totally bomber. Don't sweat it.
I attribute it to the ten second timer dance. As in...

Set up the tripod, hit the button, grab the fish, try to get framed up, grimace, and the shutter goes "click."

I keep the fish in a tournament style weigh-in bag with water while I am setting up the pics, for interested parties.

As far as those hooks... I have no idea what the deal is. I just know I straightened out one today. I have an old school GL2 popping rod that is slow as cold molasses, and I had my drag set for six pound line.

The next fish straightened out the hook. I'm going to weigh a stock hook with my little micro-scale, and replace accordingly. If you are not using Gamakatsu, Owner, Mustad, or Trokar hooks, you deserve what happens to you. Like me, today.

SS

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
I attribute it to the ten second timer dance. As in...

Set up the tripod, hit the button, grab the fish, try to get framed up, grimace, and the shutter goes "click."

I keep the fish in a tournament style weigh-in bag with water while I am setting up the pics, for interested parties.

As far as those hooks... I have no idea what the deal is. I just know I straightened out one today. I have an old school GL2 popping rod that is slow as cold molasses, and I had my drag set for six pound line.

The next fish straightened out the hook. I'm going to weigh a stock hook with my little micro-scale, and replace accordingly. If you are not using Gamakatsu, Owner, Mustad, or Trokar hooks, you deserve what happens to you. Like me, today.

SS
Dude.....I was busting your ambiguous genitalia. Those hooks are crap. I am impressed you got one to bend. Every one of those baits I have has broken hooks. Seem really brittle. Haven't lost a fish yet though. They eat 'em for sure.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool picture. Good catch.
Thanks!

I should do a post on my method. I have got some of my best fish pics fishing by myself. I have also got some really bad pics from unnamed co-anglers. I have arrived at a place where I feel better using the tripod/timer method. Asking another person to take a pic is just... well... asking for it.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice! Working it reallll slow or? If you don't mind.
Actually, a bit on the snappy side, considering the season. My cadence was; cast and six or eight mid tempo cranks to get it down, pop pop ten second pause, drag pop pop, five second pause. That is my baseline cadence, I start with that and vary it from there.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Thanks!

I should do a post on my method. I have got some of my best fish pics fishing by myself. I have also got some really bad pics from unnamed co-anglers. I have arrived at a place where I feel better using the tripod/timer method. Asking another person to take a pic is just... well... asking for it.
I'm like you. I trust my boat monopods (2 using Scotty mounts - one for video & one for still shots) & self-timer more than other people. It's a bummer though when you're running back & forth with a 40" laker. I can't wait for that problem to happen this year.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Nice fish! I hear ya on the 10-second timer shots - you've got to hustle back, get the fish positioned, and hope that everything is still in focus. I got a great shot of a headless tiger last year!

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Wow actually from what I heard I am surprised you even went fishing...I would just like to get out and not spend my life at work...but yes the few times I have been out it has been going bad...so yes you give me incredible hope...if you can do it anyone can...lol...so you're saying there's a chance?!...I hope to get out later today work willing...plus I have been on call...oracle upgrades...I dont even have my boat ready to launch...this spring sucks...congrats great fish!...I know that spot!...lol...

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Work, dog, family emergencies, ennui, my stupendous sense of entitlement. It is a marvel that I got out at all, Al Linder is correct, I don't fish much, I just talk about it all the time.

As it stands, I am two for three. And one was at Crack, which by all rights don't count.

You will get them hoss. Eat your blueberries. You will eviscerate me on the road.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Going and having fun is still the important part...I am not always as serious as I should be about it...Creek always counts since it counts when you do well there...plus it has a lot of big fish...

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
It's so much more satisfying to smack then eyes in the bright of day!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Nice fish! No shame in using RCs. They produce. It's all about catching...

My turn next :biggrin1:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts