Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Nice fish! I have had 2 of those hooks bend on me... I too love the bait, but will change the hooks.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Actually, a bit on the snappy side, considering the season. My cadence was; cast and six or eight mid tempo cranks to get it down, pop pop ten second pause, drag pop pop, five second pause. That is my baseline cadence, I start with that and vary it from there.
I don't know how you guys do it. Maybe it's my ADD kicking in. Don't get me wrong I've caught a ton of jerkbait fish but only if they'll hit it before 5 seconds. Just can NOT let it sit there that long with out a twitch.

like fishing wacky senko's wightless,... especially in more than 6' of water. I've caught a gazillion fish doing it, know it's a hell of a producer especially in spring, but it's like watching phucking paint dry.

Nice fish SB

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
I don't know how you guys do it. Maybe it's my ADD kicking in. Don't get me wrong I've caught a ton of jerkbait fish but only if they'll hit it before 5 seconds. Just can NOT let it sit there that long with out a twitch.

like fishing wacky senko's wightless,... especially in more than 6' of water. I've caught a gazillion fish doing it, know it's a hell of a producer especially in spring, but it's like watching phucking paint dry.

Nice fish SB
I agree. It's weird though, when it comes to jerkbait slow fishing, I can seem to do it with no problem.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Nice fish man! You deserve it for all the help you give other people. Catchn: You want em bad enough, you will figure it out. Since getting schooled at Carter, I have been doing pretty well with the slow retrieve. So much so that I feel if they don't bite, they aren't there. That's a nice feeling. Think of it as keeping the bait in the strike zone for as long as possible. The slower you go, the longer it's in the strike zone. Don't waste time casting straight out. Cast as parallel to the shore as you can. They are within 10' of shore unless the rocks jut out into the lake. For me, its one revolution every 4-5 seconds. super light twitches on slack line, as in the last inch I feel the bait then I give it slack as soon as I feel the bait. Twitch...twitch twich...let it sit...twitch, hit a rock stop and then BANG they try and take the rod outta my hand.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Nice fish man! You deserve it for all the help you give other people. Catchn: You want em bad enough, you will figure it out. Since getting schooled at Carter, I have been doing pretty well with the slow retrieve. So much so that I feel if they don't bite, they aren't there. That's a nice feeling. Think of it as keeping the bait in the strike zone for as long as possible. The slower you go, the longer it's in the strike zone. Don't waste time casting straight out. Cast as parallel to the shore as you can. They are within 10' of shore unless the rocks jut out into the lake. For me, its one revolution every 4-5 seconds. super light twitches on slack line, as in the last inch I feel the bait then I give it slack as soon as I feel the bait. Twitch...twitch twich...let it sit...twitch, hit a rock stop and then BANG they try and take the rod outta my hand.
4-5 I can do,... 10 sec pause,... not sure I want em bad enough:-\

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Which pond
don't be a goon. If you want to catch walleyes... Go buy a fishing close to home booklet, call the DOW and get stocking reports, go out and do the hours of footwork and figure out where the fish are for yourself. The guys who fish for these stupid ******* walleyes have spent many evenings skunking horribly trying to get one nibble from a fat girl. nobody's going to spoon feed you anything because you haven't earned it like they have.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Went out today after dog walking duty. Yes, I am a dog owner now. Not sure how it happened.

This place is in the Denver metro area. It is a mid-sized pond, and it has 100% natural walleye reproduction.

I got a smallie and this guy (five even on my new 15 pound Boga, thanks Cher) on a Lucky Strike RC jerkbait (the shameless Megabass rip-off, which I have found to be a great producer, bad Karma and all) in the gold/orange belly pattern.

My next bite straightened out the hooks. So... replace the hooks if you buy one of those baits. I was using a soft rod, the fish powered some line and *pop* that was that.

Anyway, I weighed a fourteen pound walleye for a kid of about ten a couple years back from this place, so this is not exactly a giant, but what the hell. Better than Z is doing this year. Bwahahaha.

Good going my hebrew hammer. if I get off work early enough tomorrow, I might go out to a few northside metro impoundments and wash some lures, since I suck horribly at fishing for walleyes.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
don't be a goon. If you want to catch walleyes... Go buy a fishing close to home booklet, call the DOW and get stocking reports, go out and do the hours of footwork and figure out where the fish are for yourself. The guys who fish for these stupid ******* walleyes have spent many evenings skunking horribly trying to get one nibble from a fat girl. nobody's going to spoon feed you anything because you haven't earned it like they have.

Who are you and what did you do with the Real Goon?

J/K. Things certainly have changed. Good points, Dave. I have had the privilege of being put on some fish by folks here. You would have to pry those spots out of my cold, dead hands. Just the way it is.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Honestly I love eating walleyes. I don't know how to fish for them here nor
Do I have the patience to do so. Last time I did, I stumbled upon a big school of active crappies and stuck to what I knew how to catch. Besides My walleye spots I assume are ruined anyways (loveland lake). If I want walleye that bad, I'll just go to the ark between John Martin and Lamar. Late march and April is icefishing for lakers in crocs and boardshorts time for me anyways.

I just think it's funny that every spring, on both forums.... All these fools send PM's asking the eye guys for hot spots or ask them /cry about it on the open forum. I'm an established contributing member on here and am buddies with a few of these dudes, and even I know better than to ask. Don B wrote a good article that explains how, what, where and when to fish for them. Go find the fucking fish yourselves, jagaloons.

Rant over.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Honestly I love eating walleyes. I don't know how to fish for them here nor
Do I have the patience to do so. Last time I did, I stumbled upon a big school of active crappies and stuck to what I knew how to catch. Besides My walleye spots I assume are ruined anyways (loveland lake). If I want walleye that bad, I'll just go to the ark between John Martin and Lamar. Late march and April is icefishing for lakers in crocs and boardshorts time for me anyways.

I just think it's funny that every spring, on both forums.... All these fools send PM's asking the eye guys for hot spots or ask them /cry about it on the open forum. I'm an established contributing member on here and am buddies with a few of these dudes, and even I know better than to ask. Don B wrote a good article that explains how, what, where and when to fish for them. Go find the fucking fish yourselves, jagaloons.

Rant over.
Damn!!! Lighten up lady! :cool: So,....do you know anywhere that I might catch a few mackinaw?

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Got some more!:eek:

< Six and a half

< another six and a half

< Seven! :cool:

All on my stupid RC STX... I need to get two more, the last fish I hooked actually bit my bait in half... :-X

21 - 40 of 61 Posts