Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Board! thanks in advance for any help and suggestions. I would say I am an average level fisherman here in Colorado I have mostly fished for trout and Bass in town. I would like to move on to Walleye. I do not own a boat nor do I have friends that could take me out walleye fishing. So with that said I would like to know where I can go fish walleye from the shore. I have heard Standly lake and Chatfield? I have done some research as far as bait/lures but in your experience what is working best? I would like to get out this coming weekend. Also my GF is new to fishing and is HOOKED id love to keep her interested and figured Wallye could make it a bit more exciting. THANKS!!!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Well, this is a little bit of a secret but Sloan's lake right in town has some great walleye fishing. Some days powerbait works best for walleyes and some days marshmellows do, mix it up and figure it out. You're welcome.

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
Shore fishing for walleye as a thesis for keeping a girlfriend fired up about fishing might not be in your best interest unless you want to look for a new girlfriend!...

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
x2 that both of them said, unless you take her to sloans and give her some powerbait. Then she might have a chance

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
Chatfield, Creek, Aurora suspending baits, jigs, swimbaits, blades, low light through the darkness...definately not a recipe for keeping a gal...if she makes it through multiple darkness trips, mosquitoes, coyotes, weirdos, mountain lions, trips and falls, snarls/snags, cold fingers chattering teeth...ummm go straight to the justice of the peace and marry her...you can honeymoon on Lake of the Woods...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sloans Really??? are you just messing with me haha, I grew up by sloans only ever saw carp being pulled out. any particular part of the lake?

·
P I K E
10,273 Posts
I'ld watch it Booby's, he'll give you a nipple twister! :biggrin1:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hello Board! thanks in advance for any help and suggestions. I would say I am an average level fisherman here in Colorado I have mostly fished for trout and Bass in town. I would like to move on to Walleye. I do not own a boat nor do I have friends that could take me out walleye fishing. So with that said I would like to know where I can go fish walleye from the shore. I have heard Standly lake and Chatfield? I have done some research as far as bait/lures but in your experience what is working best? I would like to get out this coming weekend. Also my GF is new to fishing and is HOOKED id love to keep her interested and figured Wallye could make it a bit more exciting. THANKS!!!
Seriously, the Carp at Sloans Lake or any old pond will hold the attention span of the GF easier than waiting for years for a Walleye to bite. Use corn is what I've been told, on treble hooks.

They used to catch Wipers at Union Res. in Longmont with "saltwater" type baits like shrimp, clams, and .... COOKED Mussels, yes, we used to sell lots of frozen cooked mussels in the grocery store to fishermen. (I don't think they like you using ANY form of mussel near the lakes anymore though)

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
It can be a ***** getting there and walking around(which you should and need to do,keep moving) but the dam at chatty has been good to me for walleye. I've hooked into a couple bruisers that I couldn't land. Maybe they were carp tho, who knows? Basic stuff works. Spoons, rooster tails, swimbaits, rapalas(xraps especially for me), etc. The larger storm swimbaits at walmart work for me and they're cheap cuz you'll inevitably snag a little. I'm not a huge walleye guy but now that the water is cooling down a bit I think they'll be keying in on larger baits then they do in summertime. Either way have a variety of basic stuff in several sizes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts