Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently have decided to fish for walleye instead of accidently just catching them. My question is what size hook to use? I want to use 1 to 3 inch bluegill as bait, again i am very new to walleye so any advice wpuld be appreciated.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Rookie you may want to rethink your choice of baits. The trouble that it would take to catch 1-3" BG (not legal to bring from other waters) is not worth the trouble.

The walleye that I am putting in the livewell are 15-18" long and they are spitting up 5-7" baitfish. I pass this along to give you a point of reference for bait size that they prefer. When YOY shad reach 3/4" this thinking goes out the window for some fish, others remain focused on the larger adult baitfish.

If you want to consistently catch walleye at night throw jerkbaits from a point of land extending into the main lake or fish riprap shorelines. Adjacent deep water is your friend but you will be fishing in water less than 5' deep.

If you want to dunk bait buy a doz. of the largest minnows that you can find, put one under a slip bobber rig and watch your bobber.

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My nieces and nephews catch the bluegill for me, they love it, they catch anywhere from 1 to 6 inch bluegill in seconds. This is why i was choosong this as bait because it gives them something to do that they enjoy while i fish for other fish during the day i catch largemouth bass left and right using them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do appreciate the fast response and advice as well from what i am understanding you are saying 2 to 3 inches is too small?

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
as long as the gills are caught in the same lake you are fishing for eyes you can use them , but if they come from any other water they are not allowed to be used unless they are dead before you take them to the lake

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
See my blog on here about dropshotting.

I suck at walleye and I have been killing em lately off Rocky areas. Fish late evenings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts