Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont have a boat. ive been fishing all summer for walleye, and im not having much luck. I finally caught my first one (12") w/ a 4" white gulp minnow a few days ago. can someone help me?

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
szangomango

I will tell you what I know...I just didnt want to publish it for the whole world to lead...places I have caught walleye from the shore...I have walked the dam at Chatfield in the night casting floating Rapalas along the shore like and retrieving slowly...take a headlamp...the rocks are small and move...can be treacherous...be careful...

I have heard of people having luck by the Handicap pier by the marina...bait fishing from shore...I suspect if you walk further down the south arm fishing might be good after dark...the water drops off in a hurry after you get back in there aways...I suspect walleyes chase shad up against the sand like they do at the swim beach...I dont know this for sure in that area...but it is access to deeper water...

I have had lots of luck at Aurora...from the dam...between the tower and the corner...fish to 10 pounds...mainly on bait...leeches, minnows and worms...occasionally on hardware...but I have used it as much...you have access to really deep water with light line (4 or 6 pound test) 30 feet deep...I have had my luck in the mornings out there from day light to around 11am...I have evening fished it but have only caught three...if the wind is blowing straight in out of the south even better...it blows food up along the dam...the bait rig I have had luck with is a sliding sinker and then a split shot or swivel and about 4 feet of leader with a slid on foam bait float and a hook...the floatie thing keeps the bait out of the weeds and more importantly away from the crayfish that are brutal most of the time...you can buy the floatie things at Gander, Sportsmans, and Valley Country Bait store at quincey and parker...

Well that is what I know and I hope it helps...I have heard there are walleyes saugeyes in Harriman at Quincey and Kipling...I saw one about 20 inches but havent caught any yet...

Also in May and June when they are letting water out of Chatfield the spillway is excellent...walleyes swim downstream in moving water and end up down there...lots of them so file that one away...

Hope that helps...

Take Care

Zman

(Mark)

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i have heard people having good luck useing shinners and leaches on the bottom with slip rigs and letting them take some line before setting the hook

M

·
0 Posts
You just have to fish for them at the right time.  When the time is right, usually from pre-spawn to post spawn (March-Late April) you can do just as good from shore as from a boat.  I know because I do both. The only advantage to owning a boat is you can cover a lot more ground instead of walking the dam.  I fish the dam at Mcconaughy during the spawn and the boaters are trying to get as close to the shore as possible while trolling.  During this time the fish are in really shallow water and they are going to be more active at night.  I usually fish from dark til morning.  Just carry a headlamp and don't bring a lantern(It'll spook the fish).  It's hard fishing but it's worth it, also, not a lot of people fish this time of the night.  I've been to Chatfield where I've had the whole lake pretty much to myself after 11p.m. 

Just fish any lake where there is a rip rap (dam).  Some good local lakes are:

Boulder Reservoir-fish the south dam or the north dam.  Usually starts picking up mid-march.  No net restrictions so you can fish during spawn.  The fish during this time frame are usually 14-18".  I've never caught one over 22" during the spawn.  The bigger 10# plus usually are caught in may-June.  That's from my personal experience.  If the water is running at the inlet it is also a good bet for the eyes.  Use jigs, rapalas (husky jerks, floating, shad rap) expect to lose a few.

Chatfield Reservoir- usually picks up during the same time except it is closed to fishing from March 15th thru April 15th.  You can catch fish all thru summer but the fish are generally shallow during the spawn.  Just fish before the nets are up or after the nets are out.  All along the dam is a pretty good bet.  I usually take the boat and cast next to the dam in about 5-8 ft of water working the face of the dam.  Not a lot of keepers, but a lot of fun.

Cherry Creek-Every fish I have caught there this year is a keeper.  However, it is a hard lake to figure out.  It can be tough fishing, even for the experienced walleye fishermen.  There's big fish in there though my biggest of the year 28".

I don't want to write a book and bore you to death, nor do I claim to be an expert but hopefully this helps.  The main points I think are take advantage when they are shallow, fish at night, don't waste your time casting too far (cast at angles along the shore to keep bait in prime spots, also helps in retreiving lures), fish structures such as dams because that is where they will spawn.  Why do you think DOW sets up there nets along the dam and closes it during that time?  At night? Hmm?  You are not going to catch a lot of walleye along the shore during the summer months, they usually go deeper.  That's where you will need a boat.

I hope this helps, I am just giving you pointers from my personal experiences.  Try different lures and times, but I think the spring is your best bet for walleye fishing from shore, next to the fall.  Good Luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that helps, thanks! tons of info on here. I had no idea this forum existed until today. Im happy bass fishing for now, guess i can wait till spring!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
dont give up on the night bite durring the summer and fall especially if you can find an area of the lake were the wind has been pounding the shore for a bit set some baits or toss lures along the shore if you can wade go out about waist deep and then fish your lures parralel to the shore( ruffly) the walley will come shallow to feed at night and if you can find where they are at the fishing can be awsome because you will be finding them while they are activly feeding dont be affraid to fish "too" shallow

·
Banned
487 Posts
I am stuck to fishing from shore at the only western slope walleye fishery, Juniata, because of the rantings and paranoia of the City Of Grand Junction Water Racket.
However I do all right, but mostly at the two twighlight periods, casting curly tail grubs, spoons, bladebaits, and crankbaits. During mid spring in May and Mid fall in October, you can catch them better during the day on flats by casting cranks or other heavy lures.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I will admit now that I didn't actually read everyhing that the other guys posted but I will tell you that I've caught quite a few walleye from shore at horsetooth reservior in the spring when the water is high. I catch them by accident because I'm usually fishing for smallmouth with spoons, spinners, crankbaits or even spinnerbaits. In rocky areas near points or dams They often seem to be in the same areas as the smallmouth...at least that time of year.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
You can almost always find walleye's around dam and riprap area's, especially at night! If there is bait shallow, there are always some walleye's around! Especially if you have some wind blowing in shallow.

I have had some luck the last two years using the STorm Swim Shads or simular swimbaits. They also tend to bounce of the rocks and not snag! If they do, they are relatively inexpensive!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i live in fort collins, i used to go to Horsetooth a lot, but never had much luck there. Didnt they restrict access near the damns because of Homeland Security?

·
Banned
487 Posts
szangomango said:
i live in fort collins, i used to go to Horsetooth a lot, but never had much luck there. Didnt they restrict access near the damns because of Homeland Security?
If they did its just another example of the intolerable direction toward big government that the liberals are taking us to. Punish us but not the terrorists. Typical liberal BS.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
yes after 9/11 there were many new restrictions placed on the american people in an attempt to increase our saftey and as more effective means have come available many of those restriction have been eased or liffted

and there is still no other country on the planet with more freedoms and i am proud to be a VOTING CITIZEN of the USA!

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
If they did its just another example of the intolerable direction toward big government that the liberals are taking us to. Punish us but not the terrorists. Typical liberal BS.
Correct me if I am wrong but don't the conservatives control the Presidency, Senate and House of Representatives? If this is true then alot of republicans (conservatives) are closet democrats(liberals)........

Dan

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
IceInTheVeins said:
??? The "Department of Homeland Security" did not even exist until the current administration put it into place. In all truthfulness, however, I care less about who put them in place than the effect this has on our way of life. I've lost a half a dozen 1" pocketknives at the airport due to these truly silly regulations -- I could do more damage to someone by choking them with my belt! Sheesh! So many of these policies seem like a knee jerk reaction to give people a warm-fuzzy so that they feel safe, but it is a total illusion IMO.

·
Registered
157 Posts
szangomango said:
From shore, yes. Not if you are in a boat though.

But, come on, don't you feel safer???? ::) Thanks big brother!!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
work2fish said:
So many of these policies seem like a knee jerk reaction to give people a warm-fuzzy so that they feel safe, but it is a total illusion IMO.
Exactly!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
I've lost a half a dozen 1" pocketknives at the airport due to these truly silly regulations
and of course no terrorist could ever take over a plane with a small blade like a box cutter right?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
roadkill said:
I've lost a half a dozen 1" pocketknives at the airport due to these truly silly regulations
and of course no terrorist could ever take over a plane with a small blade like a box cutter right?
But I'm sorry if we were to ban everything that could cause enough fear in someone to take over a plane then we would all be sitting naked on the airplanes on our way to the destination. Believe me, and especially in my case, you don't want to get to that point! ;D Someone could always use the finger pointed like a gun trick and I'm sorry to say it would probably work under certain conditions!

Some of the no brainers like locking and beefing up the cockpit doors should have been implemented years ago and those type of precautions are way more effective than banning 1" pocket knives.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
what do you really need a pocket knife on a plane for anyway? most court houses have not permitted any knives for years i think it is a small price to pay many times i have been turned back at a court house door and had to dispose of my pocket knife before entering

·
Registered
38 Posts
i have tried walleye fish from the shore and only had luck at chatfield in king fisher or the spill way. i only had a few and i would love to find a better place. i have been up living in fort collins now but have not had much luck in horsetooth

1 - 20 of 26 Posts