Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out last night to a local hole... And I Caught my personal best.......

Shad.

Fought like a demon on bath salts it did.

Used some overpriced Korean jerkbait to "convince" him. He made a great dinner for some raccoons. Effing horrid vagina smelling fish. I suck at walleye fishing, guys... Help me.

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Dave, if any women you have done smelled like shad...well I am glad that Elway isnt your dick!...not even horseface should have to live thru that!...see I am a kindler gentler Z!

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave, if any women you have done smelled like shad...well I am glad that Elway isnt your dick!...not even horseface should have to live thru that!...see I am a kindler gentler Z!
It's a favorite expression of mine, when I see an obvious Hoodrat at the bar.

"Dude I bet she smells of cheap liquor, pall malls and gizzard shad."

"Wtf is a gizzard shad?"

"Go to an Asian market and ask to smell one, bro"

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's quite a bit of catfish bait you tossed away Dave. Just sayin'.....
I learned over the years...

Live or fresh killed no older than 2 hours > frozen and rotting.

Caught more cats on live large shiners and leeches under a glow slip bobber than drowning chicken liver....

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Live or fresh killed no older than 2 hours > frozen and rotting.
Never had that issue. I freeze them in water and they stink just as bad when you thaw them out.

Caught more cats on live large shiners and leeches under a glow slip bobber than drowning chicken liver....
I have other methods as well. Chicken Liver is not one of my favorites for big cats for sure.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Dave...that might have been a new state record Gizzard Shad! perhaps you should have had it weighed, then mounted it! LOL

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never had that issue. I freeze them in water and they stink just as bad when you thaw them out.

I have other methods as well. Chicken Liver is not one of my favorites for big cats for sure.
For sure man. Nothing is more intense than using a lighted red bobber slip float rigged, and seeing that **** just slink and suddenly dart side to side underwater.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My best walleye advice: the less you care about getting bit, the more likely it is to happen. Big fish are usually caught when you least expect it.

In all seriousness, I think the #1 idea to focus on is hitting as many different nights as possible, instead of fishing really hard (6+ hours) but only getting out once a week. If there is a lake close by that you know produces good fish, it is only a matter of time before you hit a window where the fish turn on. Go out and fish for an hour or two a few nights in a row, switching up the time of night. It's important to not be disappointed when you strike out, a lot of times it just means that fish weren't active anyways. The truth is that walleye fishing is not super skillful. But from what I have seen, the best anglers are extremely efficient at managing what hours they are washing their lures.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You only have 2-3 more friutless nights to get your first bite. Wait until the males show up Dave, its great for building confidence....but not so great for table fare, as 90% of them are under 18"

·
Registered
902 Posts
My best walleye advice: the less you care about getting bit, the more likely it is to happen. Big fish are usually caught when you least expect it.

in my limited eye fishing experiences this is something i definitely noticed. ill be all zoned out kinda over trying to force a bite and just give into enjoying the moon lit serenity etc. then bam get a fish on. then ill be like man wtf was the cadence that made that fish bite??? was it tap tap jerk? how long was the pause??? etccc

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
For sure man. Nothing is more intense than using a lighted red bobber slip float rigged, and seeing that **** just slink and suddenly dart side to side underwater.
I hooked up with a carp one night and I had a little glow stick on the end of my stick bobber. It was a hoot seeing that glow stick erratically dart all over the place.

Funniest thing was I was actually dropping a deuce when I hooked into him! Had to quickly pull up my pants and run down closer to the shore to reel him in. I had him reeled in and right as I was reaching down to pick him up my pants fell (didn't have time to button 'em or tighten my belt). I grabbed my trousers instead of the fish and he shook the hook! That was a fun night.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts