Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a lot about Walleye Fishing and am still a novice at it, but those in the know say that finding fish is most important. My question is: when marking fish on your electronics, how do you know they are Walleye or not? Most of the reservoirs we fish for Walleye also have trout, carp, perch, catfish, bass and whatever else. How do you know for sure you are marking what you are targeting? Any insight is greatly appreciated!!

Rip Lip

·
Registered
988 Posts
I don't fish them eyes much but I do know that walleyes like to hug the ground, unlike cats who rape the ground. There's a difference. Also know the structure and area your fishing. But that does'nt always hold true. Wipers and walleyes both hang on drop offs waiting to ambush prey along with many others. You just have to catch one to find out.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
if you are marking a batch of fish and they seam to be good sized that will generaly rule out the perch, crappie and panfish and the cats will be harder to mark if they are right on the bottom, might just look like a bump, but after that its time to hookem if its a walleye then keep fishing if not you might want to move on but if you catch some perch and are still marking bigger fish id hang a bit as perch and walleye tend to hang in the same areas

·
Registered
280 Posts
The only way to actually know is to either catch a couple of the fish or underwater electronics. I had a aqua-view if that gives you an idea of what I think of those things, although I was mainly using them for lakers in water deeper than they are effective. I now would like one for shallower brighter water for that reason.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gracias Fellas!

I was thinking that if you are marking fish the size of the icon or mark will be a good indication and then you just have to catch a fish in that location to find out if they are Walleye or not. I guess if you are fishing for Walley and marking fish you should be marking groups of fish as Walleye tend to school or hang out together, at least for the possibility of catching several fish you would want to be marking several.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i dont think walleye school real tight like wipers and remember the cone angle might not be showing a very big area so you might see only a few fish but there could be many more just slightly to the side. also if you study the habits of the walleye you'll have a good idea of what type of structure they prefer and when you find fish on that type of structure its a good bet some of them are walleyes then just catch a few to confirm

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roadkill - You are right about cone angle. I was just curious what other people thought and some good points were brought up. Trial and Error!!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
or you couls call it catch and confirm...lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts