Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been out? Usually this time of year there is a good spooning bite going on at Chatfield, Glendo and Pueblo, but haven't seen any reports here or on Walleye Central lately. I guess everyone is fishing for trout right now?

I hit Chatfield the other night after an late appointment but didn't stay very long. I brought a rod and a box of stickbaits with me, but like an idiot forgot to throw a jacket in my truck :mad: After about 30 minutes I was both cold and in dire need of a beer, so I left.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would really love to get into some walleye fishing as well. I've only caught about 2 or 3 walleye my whole life and they were this summer in the chatfield spillway. I heard they taste great too :) Any tips for the fort collins area besides horsetooth if anyone knows. Shore fisherman as well, no boat unfortunetly :(

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Derajaman said:
I would really love to get into some walleye fishing as well. I've only caught about 2 or 3 walleye my whole life and they were this summer in the chatfield spillway. I heard they taste great too :) Any tips for the fort collins area besides horsetooth if anyone knows. Shore fisherman as well, no boat unfortunetly :(
Besides horsetooth, there are good walleyes in Boyd, Lonetree, and Lon Hagler. Not too many of the big ones fall to the shore fishermen, though. My son catches Boyd walleyes in the 7 to 9 lb. range, but he does it from a boat. I don't go out with him much because he works weird hours. Oh yeah, Douglas has some good walleyes too. The old regulars there catch them on crawdads fished under a bobber. A weird way to catch walleyes, but they get some.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Awesome thanks for the info guys. I have a silver and black husky jerk and the same color in a countdown. Do walleye usually stick towards the surface or closer to the bottom when feeding?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks for the info WE and Ken, much appreciated :) Very new to fishing other then Bass, Crappie, Bluegill and Sunfish, so trying to get some other experiences in.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
my buddy hit glendo the last 2 weekends in a row and just caught some dinks, said it was pretty slow fishing, had to try a lot of different methouds just to catch a couple of fish, we're gonna hit pueblo early sat am and see what we can do....

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a series of humps at Chatfield off the north shoreline. We have done real well there spooning during the day in about 25-30 feet of water.

Alot of people don't like to spoon, but I actually enjoy it. There is nothing finesse about it, walleye's hammer them! It is very effective if the wind stays down!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts