Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mg] Who said you can't hook walleyes in January. I caught this fish at a local lake which I will not mention on a grey suspending rogue. I have never caught walleye in water this cold. (35 degrees)

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Why is it lame Jay? Because he didn't mention the lake? He told how he caught it, thats really all you need to know. Nice fish. Great report.

·
Registered
117 Posts
wow beautiful fish. by your look, i suspect you catch alot of em. If that were my walleye, my smile would be as large as the fish.

Since I've never fished in walleye waters in colorado, that would be my reason to know where that fish was caught. Why do folks tend to not share this great info? is because of the mass folks lurking on the website?

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
Why do folks tend to not share this great info? is because of the mass folks lurking on the website?
Numerous small lakes around town have eyes in them (walleyes and saugeyes) and just cannot handle the pressure of the unslaught that would come upon them...I caught 50 plus or so eyes from places around the metro area that werent named Chatfield, Aurora, or Cherry Creek...of those I kept 2...I worry about others not being so charitable and over harvesting the small fisheries...and it took work and time to discover them...I will be the first to report on the bite on the big waters...but small waters I wont kiss and tell...great job Eyeman...and it is his report...if nothing else his report should be an inspiration to doing some self research and getting out and trying some different bodies of water...at worst you still will be fishing...

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
zman said:
Numerous small lakes around town have eyes in them (walleyes and saugeyes) and just cannot handle the pressure of the unslaught that would come upon them
While I agree with that 100% I dont think he is worried about the pressure or the fishery becoming over fished seeing how he kept it?

And dont get me wrong, While I understand as long as the fish is of size it is ok to keep but If someone was affraid of a place being 'fished-out' Id think you'd C&R to help maintain a good, small lake.

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

D

·
0 Posts
scody357 said:
Why do folks tend to not share this great info? is because of the mass folks lurking on the website?
Exactly.  That lake, especially if it's a small one, would be overrun w/ folks throwing the exact same thing the very next day.  

For myself, I'm happy to have this sort of general information. It encourages me to get off my *** and start fishing the open water.

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
He caught it...it's his fish...probably like the rest of us who would like nothing better than a presuperbowl meal of crispy walleye...

And Don is right...I should be off my arse and out fishing instead of debating a fishing report...

PS Dont tell Jay he got it from a duck blind using a 30-06! <snicker>

D

·
0 Posts
Jay_In_Parker said:
I dont think he is worried about the pressure or the fishery becoming over fished seeing how he kept it?[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
So what if he kept it?  The point is he got out, found a walleye willing to eat, told everybody else that it's possible, and even told us all what might work. 

The lakes that hold walleyes in the metro area are no secret.  I don't fault the guy for not wanting to give out the precise location he scouted out. He obviously put some work into this fish.  We can, too.

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
I would like to point out what others have noticed...there are no leaves in the background and it is winter...so it must be legit...

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I just spent an hour last night loading a box of jerkbaits and swimbaits to keep in my truck. I run all over town all week long on appointments. I plan on hitting the local lakes alot this spring during the evening! So thanks for the motivation to get off my ass Eyeman, LOL.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
zman said:
I would like to point out what others have noticed...there are no leaves in the background and it is winter...so it must be legit...
Zman,

I chuckled at that thought and I checked the EXIF information on the image and it says the pic was taken 1/29/06 (a thawed out walleye from the freezer? - NAH!). I know there are folks who can modify this info, but I thought I'd give "eyeman" (very close to "eyeguy", btw) the benefit of the doubt. ;)

In any event, nice fish eyeman and thanks for sharing the pic.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
nice fish! some people just don't understand that you don't want a bunch of people fishing your spot, especially if it is a small lake. I do the same thing occaisionally. Good job on the catch!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't understand why people are coming down on him, He was nice enough to share some info with us and we should all congratulate him on the catch.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think its a shame everyone wants to be spoon fed. I generaly stopped posting locations, methods, etc because of that.

You should be able to post as little or as much as you want. I have no problem asking (or giving) a person privately information about a method or a certain location on a lake.

Congrats on a nice fish.

M

·
0 Posts
I was wondering when someone would mention "him" in this post, thanks work2fish, hehehe.

Nice fish, a little vague (sp?), but nice fish and WELCOME TO THE SITE!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Nice fish! Thanks for the reminder that there is open water fishing for those willing to search it out!

That's just the impetus I need to lower the pontoon from the rafters and hit a few of my local lakes where I know there's open water and possibly walleyes waiting to ambush a slow-moving Rogue. I understand why people want to know where the lake is, but I think just the information that walleyes are eating Rogues ought to be enough. As many have said, if you post the location of a lake with good fishing on this board, expect it to be swamped within days and the fishing will change. I've seen it happen time and again, and even though the named members of the board might not harvest every fish they catch, a lot of people still do (and have a right to do so).

If you want mid-winter walleyes on soft water, get out, do some scouting, or, if you're not willing to fish "blindly", call your local Division biologist and ask them where the walleyes are. They put them there, and it's part of of their job to tell you...

Now let's see...pontoon boat, Rogues and other jerkbaits, paddles, insulated underwear, 5-mil waders, life-jacket, fish finder, waterproof gloves...what else do I need for a trip?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Personally, I log on to this forum to find out information about where the bite is hot and what to use, and to exchange information that can help other people, not look at pictures! :eek:

1 - 20 of 97 Posts