Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for some tips on bait and technique fishing for walleye. I have never caught one but I did get to eat one and it was great please help . I usually fish cherry creek.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Have you seen that thread back posted back in February "tips on walleye"? I've not fished Cherry Creek, (other lakes are closer to me) everyone has been saying there are lots of shad, so the walleye are fat, happy, and hard to catch.

Terre

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Maestasj,

Close by I like Chatfield, Lonetree, even Union. My favorites in Colorado are Bonny, then Pueblo. I fish Glendo (3 hours north) at least once a year. I read an article recently though that Glendo walleye catch rate is going down year to year and the average fish size is also going down. (I didn't really put that together but I haven't done as well as I did in the mid 90's) Maybe it has been the drought which has affected many of the plains reserviors. This year I think I will try Sterling!

Many of the people on this board are much more adept at catching Walleye than I am. Some of the guys are fishing 200 plus days per year.

I love Walleye; its just, so many species, so many lakes, so little time.

Terre

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
TAL0362 said:
everyone has been saying there are lots of shad, so the walleye are fat, happy, and hard to catch.
Thats what ive been told too. Im going to try for a few hours on friday night.

-Jay

·
Banned
487 Posts
I catch a lot of walleyes from the City Reservoirs in Grand Junction. That is the only lake around here that has good fishing for walleyes.
The key to walleyes is to target them primarly around the twighlight periods of dawn and dusk. Due to the fact that the sun is so intense in Colorado, some walleyes feed almost exclusively after the sun goes down, and then they stop feeding when it gets totally dark usually. This goes for any time of the year, be it January or July.
My favorite presentation for walleyes is a 3" white, purple, or brown/pumpkin curly tail grub fished on a 1/8 or 1/4 ounce jighead. Usually I fish off rocky dams or near rip rap. Gravel flats and steep dropoffs near shore are also good areas. If the bottom is very snaggy and steals lots of jigs, I will rig my twister tails on a lindy, no snagg timber rock jighead. That really keeps me from losing jigs to the rock gods.
I just let the jig sink and then reel it back in slowly near the bottom, occasionally pausing it for 2 - 4 seconds and then hopping it back up. Usually a walleye bite feels just like a snag except "mushy", and when you set the hook it feels like a moving snag.
Often though, crankbaits far outfish jigs. My favorite cranks are rebel wee craws, rapala tail dancers, bill lewis rat l traps, cordell super spots, and also shad raps. I usually fish cranks once the sky begins to get quite dark, and I fish the jigs before the sun goes down.
Walleyes seem to feed very heavily on crawfish. Perhaps this helps make them even more nocturnal. Match your jigs and crank colors to either crawfish or baitfish patterns. Over here it's always crawfish, as we have no shad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts