Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a location along the Front Range that has an aquarium with Walleye in it?.

Cabelas in Sidney had them but the aquarium has been eliminated.

Are you aware of any DOW offices that may have what I need.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
TheUkrainian said:
Does anyone know of a location along the Front Range that has an aquarium with Walleye in it?.

Thanks.
Hmmm.. I have seen Walleye in the Aquarium at Bass Pro here in Denver almost every time i go.. Accept last time. :-\ Looked all around and didn't see a single one :(

I know that doesn't help :/ But that's 1 place NOT to look LOL

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
RVinson said:
TheUkrainian said:

Thanks.
Hmmm.. I have seen Walleye in the Aquarium at Bass Pro here in Denver almost every time i go.. Accept last time. :-\ Looked all around and didn't see a single one :(

I know that doesn't help :/ But that's 1 place NOT to look LOL
It knew you were hungry, you fish killer.

:D :D :D :D

Honestly though, no clue. I don't even recall seeing walleye or sauger in the tanks there.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
TheUkrainian said:

Really? Cabela's eliminated the aquarium?? Bummer......

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RV...I didn't even think of Bass Pro...maybe they will have one in the future...I'll check with them...Thanks.

·
P I K E
10,084 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
TheUkrainian said:

Really? Cabela's eliminated the aquarium?? Bummer......
Yep...one more reason why Cabela's sux!!! >:D :D ;)

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
i saw one in bass pros last time i was there, i think it was a saugeye to be honest, hmm.... u can come check out my tank at my house, i got bluegill and 2 little perch if that helps ;) ;D

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I'll ask Joel the aquarist at BPS next time I see him. He always lets me know if we've added or lost fish. (Not very often as we only have one small pike in the aquarium and he's hand fed to keep him from eating the neighbors.) I'm pretty sure I saw the walleye last night while at work. I tend to think he's more saugeye than pure walleye - but remember, most of the BPS aquarium fish come from southern Missouri, and that's why the smallmouth have such different coloration, etc.

One tip, as walleyes are nocturnal fish, he's usually hanging out in front of the aquarium in the evenings - hangs out right in front of the glass, on the bottom. Sometimes you find him over in the window over by Sunglasses. Not half as active or aggressive as the trout, wipers, or stripers in there. Fun to see him eat though.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks FishinGal...I appreciate your comments because coloration is important.

SoleSearcher 34...I carve/sculpt fish out of wood....both realistic and stylistic versions. I recently received a commission for a Walleye and want to observe the movement of the fins, make sure I have the anatomy correct, and take some notes on the coloration to "get it right".

I have plenty of Trout and Salmon references but good Walleye references are tough to find. Pictures have their pluses and minuses but you can't beat the real deal. I get a bit anal about making sure the anatomy and colors are correct.

Thanks for asking.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Interesting....I'd love to see some of your work....

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pictures don't work for me...I can't get them to pick up the details, the colors, the movement that I carve into the wood...a one dimensional picture can't do justice to a three dimensional piece.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
T.U.

If you go to youtube and do a search for underwater walleye...there are underwater videos...it will give you some idea until you get to see some in an aquarium...

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
TheUkrainian said:
SoleSearcher 34...I carve/sculpt fish out of wood....both realistic and stylistic versions. I recently received a commission for a Walleye and want to observe the movement of the fins, make sure I have the anatomy correct, and take some notes on the coloration to "get it right".
Sounds awesome.......wood is an interesting media to work with that has some distinct challenges I am certain. Cool stuff. You might try looking up some youtube videos related to walleye on aqua-view cams too.....could be a good easy source.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts