Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Should walleye be allowed to thrive in Steamboat

• Leave em be and see if they survive, but put a limit on them like other lakes have.

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Help them thrive in Steamboat, it'd be cool to have an eye lake in the mountains!

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Get rid of them, Steamboat's a trout lake.

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • I'd rather have the CPW stock bluefin tuna like they have at Opry's hotspot on the South Platte Rive

Votes: 9 20.9%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was stumbling around the internet today and learned that walleye are in Stagecoach!

I never knew.

I also learned that our beloved CPW has a no limit keep em all mentality when it comes to the toothy critters being in one of it's MRT lakes.

From the 15 regs:

StageCoach Reservoir -
Routt (map, pagE 35)

1. no bag or possession limit for walleye.

So my question is, should they let me be, help the eye population grow and promote it, or get those walleyes out of there forever?

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Walleye are in Stagecoach, not Steamboat.

And they have been for a while, but for whatever reason, don't seem to be taking off. I don't think it is due to the way the lake is being managed.

And Stagecoach isn't just a trout lake, it has a great population of pike.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:embarassed: Fixed part of it...

Left the poll part wrong. Glad I have an editor!

Question still stands..

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
im sure because it's in the yampa watershed, they treat em the same way as the pike.

I wish they'd just leave the river alone. those pike aren't going anywhere... and as i learned this year, that river is fun as all hell to fish for those waterwolves.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I think it would be cool to have them there, don't think it would hurt the trout at all. many WYO lakes have both species that thrive. However, if they were put there illegally ( which I'm pretty sure they were) , I would hate to encourage all of the bucket biologist out there, and let them think that's it's perfectly fine to transfer fish and put 'em in any lake that you want.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Were they talking about killing Stagecoach too, or just Elkhead? Gotta love the management out there. I don't think the walleye are doing any harm to the trout and pike populations. Leave 'em be.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I think it would be cool to have them there, don't think it would hurt the trout at all. many WYO lakes have both species that thrive. However, if they were put there illegally ( which I'm pretty sure they were) , I would hate to encourage all of the bucket biologist out there, and let them think that's it's perfectly fine to transfer fish and put 'em in any lake that you want.
Back in the 90s the Wyoming DOW lost millions of fingerling trout for two straight years in Seminoe. They attributed it and the loss of trout at next door Pathfinder to walleye predation. So they started stocking trout in the 9-10" range and that fixed the problem. Kind of like what we do at Spinney to get the stocking's past the pike.

Downstream at Glendo they gave up decades ago and let the walleye's take over. Which was smart! Glendo is a totally different kind of reservoir
with a lot warmer water, thus it can support shad, crappie and perch. Glendo fish grow three times as fast as walleye's that live upstream in Seminoe and Pathfinder.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Back in the 90s the Wyoming DOW lost millions of fingerling trout for two straight years in Seminoe. They attributed it and the loss of trout at next door Pathfinder to walleye predation. So they started stocking trout in the 9-10" range and that fixed the problem. Kind of like what we do at Spinney to get the stocking's past the pike.

Downstream at Glendo they gave up decades ago and let the walleye's take over. Which was smart! Glendo is a totally different kind of reservoir
with a lot warmer water, thus it can support shad, crappie and perch. Glendo fish grow three times as fast as walleye's that live upstream in Seminoe and Pathfinder.
My Buddy got a real nice Rainbow last year at Glendo... over 23".... Fatter than F--K !!
Of course, We were targeting Walleyes, But WTF?
They are few and far between, however....

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
My Buddy got a real nice Rainbow last year at Glendo... over 23".... Fatter than F--K !!
Of course, We were targeting Walleyes, But WTF?
They are few and far between, however....
There are a few browns in there also. The river will still add trout to the mix. I would hate to be a small trout though:eek:

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Were they talking about killing Stagecoach too, or just Elkhead? Gotta love the management out there. I don't think the walleye are doing any harm to the trout and pike populations. Leave 'em be.
I've never heard of them talking about killing Stagecoach. I don't think the folks in the area would let that happen. The walleye have been in there for years, and have not taken off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts