Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Should walleye be allowed to thrive in Steamboat

• Leave em be and see if they survive, but put a limit on them like other lakes have.

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Help them thrive in Steamboat, it'd be cool to have an eye lake in the mountains!

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Get rid of them, Steamboat's a trout lake.

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • I'd rather have the CPW stock bluefin tuna like they have at Opry's hotspot on the South Platte Rive

Votes: 9 20.9%
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
6,546 Posts
I think it would be cool to have them there, don't think it would hurt the trout at all. many WYO lakes have both species that thrive. However, if they were put there illegally ( which I'm pretty sure they were) , I would hate to encourage all of the bucket biologist out there, and let them think that's it's perfectly fine to transfer fish and put 'em in any lake that you want.
Back in the 90s the Wyoming DOW lost millions of fingerling trout for two straight years in Seminoe. They attributed it and the loss of trout at next door Pathfinder to walleye predation. So they started stocking trout in the 9-10" range and that fixed the problem. Kind of like what we do at Spinney to get the stocking's past the pike.

Downstream at Glendo they gave up decades ago and let the walleye's take over. Which was smart! Glendo is a totally different kind of reservoir
with a lot warmer water, thus it can support shad, crappie and perch. Glendo fish grow three times as fast as walleye's that live upstream in Seminoe and Pathfinder.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.