Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
coleman and I had retired from fishing tourneys, but this was a one day tourney on our home lake, and we thought two old crippled up, fat, retired fire fighters, could stay awake long enough, and not hurt to much to fish a whole day, so we signed up. we didn't place in the top 8 places, but we had a great time fishing a very high quality tourney. the first place paid over 3400.00 and the next seven places won high dollar prizes. we spent too long on water that had lots of fish that did not want to eat before we moved, a few short fish and a big SMB kept us interested, but when we packed up and moved, when I dropped my lure in, it only went about 50 yards and I hooked up with the hardest fighting 18 inch eye I have ever caught. all our fish were caught on plastic trolling from 2.3 to 3.1 mph. on leadcore out 5 colors.

if any of you want to try fishing a tourney I can recommend you try to hook up with one of Nates walleye insanity tourneys. he has great prizes, he feeds you coffee and doughnuts at the rules meeting and pizza and drinks at weigh in. look him up at tight line outdoors, you will have a lot of fun

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Didn't see anything about the customary breakfast pit stop, guess they must be some darn good donuts! Glad you two enjoyed it, nice report.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't see anything about the customary breakfast pit stop, guess they must be some darn good donuts! Glad you two enjoyed it, nice report.

yes it put a crimp in our day to have to be at the south marina at 5:30 AM, an hour and a half before the hen house opens, however we did pig out on prime rib at the buckshot steak house the night before, and we also had some apple fritters in the boat, so we didn't go hungry. that is important to us.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Good report Byron! Hell I figured you & Coleman would clean up on this event.

As far as Nates tourneys. Say what you will about Nate. Promoting fishing is his job. Like you said his events are well run & FUN. I just need to win something at one!

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Good report Byron! Hell I figured you & Coleman would clean up on this event.

As far as Nates tourneys. Say what you will about Nate. Promoting fishing is his job. Like you said his events are well run & FUN. I just need to win something at one!
X2

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Yep that was fun even though we didnt know where we were going and hadnt been there in a couple of years...definately needed the sunshine and wind and my mind on fishing for a change...it was great talking to Byron and finally getting to meet the legendary Coleman! And Jeff and Kevin thanks for "applying theair freshner" to the outdoor privy before I went in to wiz...thats the thanks I get for keeping team "WE" from over sleeping and giving you the inspirational pep talk that propelled you to the 5th place finish and winning the 2 pairs of very expensive and exclusive Costa Del Mar "Dickhead" edition sunglasses...boy some gratitude...I bet I fired Kenny up for Atown too and he had the day of his life out there...SHEESH!!!...

And on the tourney it was fun and as well run as any I have been in...and I believe even though numbers were down Nate paid out a 100% of entry fees in first place prize money...he is trying to build this big time...I heartily recommend everyone try the Boyd one in 3 weeks...

Tiny thanks for taking me with and sorry about the trolling motor prop! It was fun even though we couldnt find any fish long enough...

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yep that was fun even though we didnt know where we were going and hadnt been there in a couple of years...definately needed the sunshine and wind and my mind on fishing for a change...it was great talking to Byron and finally getting to meet the legendary Coleman! And Jeff and Kevin thanks for "applying theair freshner" to the outdoor privy before I went in to wiz...thats the thanks I get for keeping team "WE" from over sleeping and giving you the inspirational pep talk that propelled you to the 5th place finish and winning the 2 pairs of very expensive and exclusive Costa Del Mar "Dickhead" edition sunglasses...boy some gratitude...I bet I fired Kenny up for Atown too and he had the day of his life out there...SHEESH!!!...

And on the tourney it was fun and as well run as any I have been in...and I believe even though numbers were down Nate paid out a 100% of entry fees in first place prize money...he is trying to build this big time...I heartily recommend everyone try the Boyd one in 3 weeks...

Tiny thanks for taking me with and sorry about the trolling motor prop! It was fun even though we couldnt find any fish long enough...
I'm fricken crying right now!!! Inspirational "DickHead" prep talks at 3:30 a.m.? So much for getting a hotel room and having a good nights sleep befor the tourney!!..NOT!
I agree, Nate has put together a real good tourney series. Plus he has some great people working with him, Will, Devin and Ron, plus all the wives who really work hard to make it a good time for everyone.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
was a very well run tourney for certain!
nice to finally meet you z... even if you can't catch any walleye (grin)... but it sounds like you are a pretty damn good alarm clock! (note to self, never give mark your phone number!)

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Whats funny about that after standing behind Byron and not being sure it was him and saying hey Byron (not knowing too much shooting has made him deaf) with no response I grabbed my cell and started to call him...but thought thats all I need to do is wake him up at 5 20 am too...and hung up!...

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
rofl... yeah, he's deeef in one ear and can't hear sheet out the other. drives me fargin nuts!

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
what a bizare bite!
spring patterns worked for some, winter patterns worked for others. what really did me in was i fished the exact technique that won the tourney all morning without a sniff... switched to plastics and started connecting... the winners didn't start slammin 'em till after i switched... story of my life! fricken finnicky arsed fish... lol

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Yeah I think we caught fish about 6 different ways...and all different depths...couldnt get a consistent pattern...

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bigun that's no drive, it's just a short putt. and Mark it was good seeing you down here, don't be a stranger down here, you know you can go out anytime you want.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Thanks Byron I will work on not being a stranger...used to fish it a lot pre ANS days and I always fished it for the big wipers rather than eyes...easier to catch...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts