Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the monster out of Aurora that was caught by Namigos (beautiful fish by the way) someone mentioned the length x length x length / 2700 =the fishes weight.  Doing some thinking on the subject, that can't be right can it?  Craigknows2 just caught a nice little 18" but that would put that fish over 2 pounds!  I know that can't be right looking at the picture of the fish.

Does anyone have any info on this formula?  Maybe correct numbers to factor.  How about other species?  Are there formulas to determine weights of other species? 

Sorry for all the questions, but this is the first time I have heard anything about "fish formulas".  All of a sudden I like math again!!! ;D

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Im going to have to try that out. That site puts the fish right at 2 pounds too. Maybe it was, but it sure didn't look like it.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
My length-to-weight formula is just an approximation but it has never failed me yet:

The longer they are, the more they weigh.

:)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
see, thats the same formula I have always used. haha multiplication? division? I thought we were supposed to be enjoying ourselves when we get out on the water. ;D

D

·
0 Posts
Fishing_Fiend said:
Does anyone have any info on this formula? 
The formula I have always used and heard is most accurate is length x girth x girth / 800 = weight in pounds. I think it's a fair approximation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts