Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are those of you who strictly fish mackinaw and those of you who strictly fish walleye.......I like to fish for both. Why do some of you strictly fish one and not the other?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I do not discriminate. If its a viable fishing oportunnity for me, im on it. I rarely fish walleye because i do not live near any walleye fisheries. chatty, crack and A town are great fisheries but I dont like being down on the front range, places like plo and and the tooth are quite a jont for me. When im in a situation where I can take a longer trip I head to the north west or south west of here to places i do not speak of on this forum that don't have walleye..
I do have respect for a quality walleye and what it takes to get them.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I do not discriminate. If its a viable fishing oportunnity for me, im on it. I rarely fish walleye because i do not live near any walleye fisheries. chatty, crack and A town are great fisheries but I dont like being down on the front range, places like plo and and the tooth are quite a jont for me. When im in a situation where I can take a longer trip I head to the north west or south west of here to places i do not speak of on this forum that don't have walleye..
I do have respect for a quality walleye and what it takes to get them.
X2 I hate the bug shitty and it's the last place I want to spend my fun money at. If I'm driving somewhere that's not my usual colorado lake x I'm going somewhere that's worth the drive and it won't be on here either. Plo reminds of vegas where I grew up and never plan to go back.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Good post Fordo, I chased Walleye all over the state and throughout Nebraska years ago. Now I just try to hit Lake Powell a few times a year for them. I prefer not to go down to the front range and have to drive through over 2 million people to fish now. The western slope has few opportunities for them.
Being a warmer water fish they are harder to catch through the ice than Lake trout....BTW... Big Lake Trout Are "Numero uno" under the ice..

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
BTW... Big Lake Trout Are "Numero uno" under the ice..
Not just under the ice. Any time they'll be biting they are numero uno in my world. Any other fish in Colorado is a distant second IMO. I like to fish for any fish but I love fishing for macs.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
As a novice/junk fisherman, I'll take what I can get. When the opportunity arises which allows me to be in the presence of a "real" fish like a big laker or 20" bass, I consider myself blessed.

Got to land 3 MA class fish during the last year, and I feel blessed to have been able to hold each of them. All are still swimming.

90% of the fish I catch are just basic run of the mill fish, average in size. I HAVE figured out a pretty cool presentation for LARGE panfish recently though.

I fish alot, and will accept whatever fish decides to hop on for the ride. As many of you know, fishing is rarely about fish at all.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Not just under the ice. Any time they'll be biting they are numero uno in my world. Any other fish in Colorado is a distant second IMO. I like to fish for any fish but I love fishing for macs.
I agree they are the Kings of Co.
Include Saltwater fish and they don't even make the list but are Número uno through the ice.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Taste or fight?
Wahoo can swim 60mph, when they hit your bait you better have a good strong leader!!!

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Taste or fight?
Wahoo can swim 60mph, when they hit your bait you better have a good strong leader!!!
A red leader? LOL I couldn't help it. Damn that's fast. All the saltwater fish I've caught were eaters, red snapper, cuda, gunts, misc reef fish.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
When it comes to ice fishing, I think a lot of guys like to fish for walleyes because it's local..something they can even do after work. Maybe a fifteen to a thirty minute drive to fish for a few hours. Most of the same guys also enjoy laker fishing ..but it requires a much greater time commitment ..leave the house at 3:30 in the morning...get home at 10 that evening..makes for a long day and a long drive.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts