Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walleye on the fly...music to my ears. It all started last fall when I got a wild hair and decided to find unlikely quarry on the fly rod. I've always been the guy that wants to learn how, and possibly get good at something that's not considered the norm.
It started out pretty slow. First time a skunk. Second time a single fish in a full day of fishing that wasn't a legal keeper size. Third time, skunked again. Then came winter with it's months to think about what the hell I was thinking. Walleye aint the kind of fish that is caught with a fly rod.
I'm a stubborn s.o.b., so this spring I headed to the lake to figure these guys out. Fishing an olive cone head woolly bugger from shore I finally caught a keeper 18" walleye. It was only one, but it was legal and delicious. Next time out, no fish...time to give up? No! Time to bring the belly boat and expand the search.
Walleye, it seems, like structure close to deep water and I found them one day within 30 feet of shore. 4 fish with 2 keepers and I figure I'm on to something. I like this spot and get to fish it until the shore fishermen show up and cast their lines where I'm doin' my thing. Oh well, aint my lake so I move on and keep trying the white meat whistle that was starting to work so well. No dice...fish are there where those guys are. Good supper that night.
It all brought me to this past weekend. Belly boat, Fishin' buddy fish finder to see the under water structure, meat whistles and woolly buggers. Started out by my same spot by shore before sun up. Fishing was slow to say the least. One bite in several hours of fishing and that was it. I tried different colored meat whistles and my woolly buggers to no avail. The previous week my floating line and a long leader was the ticket. Wasn't working this time, but I'm stubborn and keep flailing away...until the shore fishermen show up. I start working the shore line away from them and pick up a smallmouth here and there. Nothing big, 13-14 inchers, but fun to catch.
I kept following the shore. Went too far(as usual) for a belly boat and decided to head back toward the truck when the thunderheads looked like they were heading my way.
The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, so instead of following the shore again I decided to go across the lake back toward the parking area. The water gets pretty deep for fly gear, so I put my reel on with the fast sinking sink tip line and "twitch troll" my cone head bugger. Damned if I didn't hook into a 19" walleye on the way. Figured it was a fluke and continued on my way. Got another hit(missed it) and then another. Missed that one too. That's when I see the bottom coming up steeply.
The fish finder read 20 feet or so and in just a few kicks I'm in 2 feet of water and see the rocks. I actually was able to stand in one spot on this submerged island and cast from it. No way in hell are the shore fishermen gettin' to me here. I quit getting hits on the bugger and think "what the hell" and put the white meat whistle back on. First cast I go out as far as I can, let it sink, and start stripping it in kind of a jerky dying fish fashion until the walleye takes it.
The fish wasn't a keeper...the usual 17.5 incher. The next cast yielded another 17 incher. In all, I caught about 10 fish around this submerged island. No keepers, but consistency...a pattern. I finally yield to the fast approaching lightning.
I think I'm ruined now. I think I'll tie up a good shad pattern and see if that works. Next Saturday the plan is to see if it was pure dumb luck or if I'm on to something. I want the 5 fish limit and I want the one that's 21 inches or over to be included in that limit. I want to get sick of catching walleye so I can go after my next victim...wipers.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Nice man, it's always rewarding to crack the code (for now,anyway)
For a good shad imitation try a Bellyache Minnow with grey top and white bottom.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
yeah me too!have had way too many walleye dinners this year. wish i could catch a trout. seriously though good job on the persistence and the catching. i think you'll find wiper easier to figure out. but spring may be the time for them. hows about largemouth bass.probably already done that, huh

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I'll be getting some walleye on the fly soon. I have been catching walleye really close and shallow with my spin gear. I just need to take my fly stuff out there and do work!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just wanted to see if it could be done consistently...lots of fun.
Thanks Cast-a-way, I'll look that one up. Slayer, that's not really sick, it's probably just a belly ache (or maybe constipation) from eatin' too many of them. I don't do tubes, but I do like catching bucket mouths. I've been making poppers out of 98 cent Wal-Mart flip flops...sounds like a good thing to try on pike too. Good luck getting 'em Whompus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts