Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being from Gunnison and spending the last bunch of years in the south my walleye experience is very limited. I am in the Ft Collins area now and am looking to try to catch more. My question is if you were to go after walleye today what would be your preferred method? I have a 17 foot deep. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Lots of different ways to catch them this time of year, but most fish will be relating to deeper water now. Jig and leech work well if you can find groups of fish to hold over or a piece of structure that is holding fish. Lindy rigging with live bait, bottom bouncers, lead core trolling with cranks or using snap weights with cranks. You kind of have to pick a method that suits you best and use it a lot. Early spring and late fall are good times to huck jerk baits in shallower water. Lots to learn and lots of hours on the water to figure out a good pattern that works. They can be challenging at times, but are a fun fish to go after. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys. I will most likely fish the smaller lakes like douglas around Ft Collins and Loveland area during the summer and then maybe Boyd and Horsetooth in the winter months.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
If you are fishing from a boat? Find the shad and troll slightly above and thru them! Especially if you aren't interested in dinks.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I will most likely fish the smaller lakes like douglas around Ft Collins and Loveland area during the summer and then maybe Boyd and Horsetooth in the winter months.
I do well at douglas with jerk baits like shadow raps or xraps. Douglas can be tough but if you explore and aren't afraid to check the lake out , you should be able to find fish

1 - 11 of 11 Posts