Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. This spring, I plan on investing in a couple good walleye rods. I want on for slow trolling harnesses, and one for jigging. What should I look for in these types of rods?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm no troller so I'll let others address that, but jigging is something we do a ton of. I like a medium power, extra fast action rod about 6'6". We use medium light as well, depending on the jig size/water depth. The extra fast action makes the rod accurate and more importantly, very sensitive. A St Croix Avid would be a great choice. Made in America, lifetime warranty, very light and sensitive without spending a complete fortune. A St Croix Legend Tournament series would be lighter, faster and more sensitive...but more money.

Life's too short to fish with poor tackle! CL

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I am partial to some of the Cabelas Spinning Rods; The IM-7 or IM - 6's in 7 ft. 2 pc. are not too expensive, light, sensitive, tough. They also have Cabelas gaurantee when you purchase. In the $40-$60 range.

Not to much of a troller, usually use an 8ft Eagle Claw my father-in law gave me years ago.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have a couple St Croix Premier 6'6" MF rods that I use for lindy rigging and love them. They are 10x better that the Berkley Cherrywood rod I was using before. I can't believe all the bites I couldn't feel before. :eek:

I know there a couple guys in Pueblo that use light or ultralight graphite salmon rods for lindy rigging. (They are really long - like 9 feet)

Has anyone here used an inshore rod for trolling ? It seems they would have the backbone necessary for heavy bottom bouncers, leadcore, or planer boards but with a fast tip would have the sensitivity you need.

Crk

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
While i dont fish from a boat often for walleyes, i do fish at night from the shore a lot with jigs and soft plastics....and i also favor the St Croixs...mainly the Avids, which i own a few. Fairly fast action, with enough backbone and sensitivity to work jigs in deeper water. My favorite walleye rod, bar none, is the G Loomis GL3....8-12 lb line 7 ft model. Its seems i can outfish any of my other rods with this for some reason. Its a fast rod, but is sensitive enough to feel even the most subtle takes...rigged with 30 lb braid and a good reel it pretty much fishes by itself.

For vertical jigging from a boat? I am guessing something light, with a fast action but slightly softer tip...im no expert in that department though, so you will have to see what other guys suggest.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
slow trolling with harnesses, bottom rigs etc. i always liked a 7' M spinning. i found a strong but forgiving long rod for the slow troll on the bottom allowed me to keep the rod in my hand and adjust when the hit came and then a nice steady sweeping hook set. a 7' Medium with a long cork handle was perfect. plus it could go into the rod holder quickly if needed. i also used this type of rod for slip bobber drifting for the same reasons. never liked a casting rod/reel for this type of slow trolling or drifting.

for jigging, i always liked a 6' 6" M. its a perfect rod for verticle jigging or even wind drift jigging. good backbone for a hook set but forgiving if using fireline or a heavy jog.

take you pick on the brand

ah, the good old days of walleye fishing from my boat!

·
The Mayor
2,101 Posts
Falcon makes some good jiggin rods, 6' M or MH, pretty fast action and great feel, Some of the Diawa rods ain't bad for the money, same setup.

You shoud check out the last trolling rod thread for info on rods and reels, it was pretty good. Theres a bunch of good walleye fisherepeeps on here. They wont give you GPS coords, but will help with your gear.

BHR

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
For jigging I use a 6'3" medium power, extra fast action spinning rod with either 6# braid or 6# floro.

For trolling bottom bouncers I use a 7' medium power, moderate action baitcast rod with 10# mono.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Price range always helps :)

Just like anything you can spend $20-$600

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yep, St Croix Premier 6'6" MF rods are awesome for jigging. I would highly recommend them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
BPS has a 7' rod just for trolling. I matched mine with a bait casting reel with a flipping switch. The rod has a very stif backbone. The switch on the reel allows you to drop line and lock it up again with out turning the cranck.

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
Go to Bass Pro shop and check out walleye rods designed by walleye pros Keith Kavajecz & Gary Parsons...most are in the $69 range and you can find them for $49 on sale in the spring...wont break the bank...and they have specific rods for specific walleye applications...jigging, trolling, slip bobbers, bottom bouncers, rigging, casting cranks...here is a good article of what went into their thought process when designing the rods...

http://www.walleyecentral.com/mbroddes.htm

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Boondock said:
Price range always helps :)

Just like anything you can spend $20-$600
I would really like to have a G Lomis or St. Croix. I just priced out the St. Croix Avid last week-end at Bass Pro. 169.95 and the G Lomis was more than that. I normally use my Diawa, Heartland rod 6'6"Med Fast which I have really liked. I recieved some gift cards at Bass Pro and just bought a Browning-Citori rod 6'6" Med Fast on sale for 69.00 from 119.00. I have not heard of this brand before, but it was only 12 bucks after my gift cards and seemed to feel great. Can't wait to try it out. Also Zman has a good point about the Walleye Series Rods at 69.00

1 - 16 of 16 Posts