Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
   I know that the dams at Chatfield and Cherry Creek are off limits for fishing from 4:00PM
until 9:00AM (as of yesterday).  I can't imagine that the water has warmed up enough for
the spawn operation to have actually started.  Does anyone know if they have started setting
nets at either of those two reserviors?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I was wondering the same thing? I almost went by last night after work, but decode to go have a beer instead.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Last weekend Looney said the DOW had set out a test net at Chat and pulled in all green females. The Pueblo nets will go out tonight.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
The walleye spawn takes place at much lower temps than other "warmwater" species like bass. Walleye pre-spawn starts at upper 30's water temp and the spawn is in full swing by mid to upper 40's.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was cleaning ice out of my guides 3 days ago during the middle of the afternoon, so I can't imagine that the water temps are anywhere near the mid 40's.   Will be hoping that we hear stories of a
lot of quality fish being netted at all 3 reserviors and that the egg take meets or exceeds the
DOW's goals for this year.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thats odd, ive always know the walleys too start pawning at about 50 degrees, thats when they come shallower and do there thiang....that normally ends up being last week of march too the fisrt or second week of april depending on the weather and temps.... But that's only my 2 cents

·
Registered
294 Posts
HookNLine said:
No nets at creek yet. Delayed till the 20th. Ive been out there couple times and all i caught was nice size rocks. I have donated alot of lures there already this year.
Sounds to me like your talking about Post Spawn Walleye.

L

·
0 Posts
No nets yet at CC. I shined the spot light in where the eye's go for spawn and saw nothing gleaming back at me (although that doesn't mean a whole lot). Surface temp is still 39-40 degrees. The 20th is what I've been told now for the nets also. I personally think things are about 2 to 3 weeks behind last year.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Test nets went out at Chatfield last night (Thursday) to see if any fish are ready to spawn and to know for sure if we will go "full bore" on Sunday night. The operation is scheduled to start at both Metro lakes Sunday night. All depends on too many variables to really know for sure! We just try to be ready when the fish are. I'll be setting up the volunteer schedule as soon as I know for sure when we are going to go full steam ahead. Also I'll try to keep everyone updated on how it's going. Please be patient and stay clear of the nets, they are a mess to untangle when a boat prop gets in them!!! Looney

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Nets went out on Pueblo on Monday. Don't know what they're getting in the nets yet (if anything). Probably a little early, even down here in the banana belt. ;D

We're supposed to have colder weather this weekend so the whole thing will probably get delayed a week or two.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The first day of the DOW Walleye spawning operation at Chatfield is scheduled for Monday, 3/20/06. The nets should be set Sunday.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was hoping to sneak in one evening of fishing before the nets go in, unfortunately sunday was the night I was planning on fishing. Are nets buoyed and well marked? Will signs be posted at landing when the nets do go in, just like to know in case I feel like hitting CC or Chat. sunday night, even though the weather sounds like it will suck!

One more question, are Chatfield and Cherry creek closed to boating in the evening hours. I've been kicked off The Boulder Res. once already. Whats the deal with that anyways? Kind of hard for a MN guy to get used to, had a truck shining his spot on me telling me the water was closed, even though the sign posted said 10 pm, oh well, I know it is one of those 911 related things, but still as buzzkill.

Things warmed up quickly on the Boulder res., fish should be on their way very soon, if not already. Water temps hit the mid forties with that last warm spell, and has maintained for more than a week or two.

Thanks for any info on the nets.

·
Registered
294 Posts
fishingchef said:
I was hoping to sneak in one evening of fishing before the nets go in, unfortunately sunday was the night I was planning on fishing.  Are nets buoyed and well marked?  Will signs be posted at landing when the nets do go in, just like to know in case I feel like hitting CC or Chat. sunday night, even though the weather sounds like it will suck! 

One more question, are Chatfield and Cherry creek closed to boating in the evening hours.  I've been kicked off The Boulder Res. once already.  Whats the deal with that anyways?  Kind of hard for a MN guy to get used to, had a truck shining his spot on me telling me the water was closed, even though the sign posted said 10 pm, oh well, I know it is one of those 911 related things, but still as buzzkill. 

Things warmed up quickly on the Boulder res., fish should be on their way very soon, if not already.  Water temps hit the mid forties with that last warm spell, and has maintained for more than a week or two. 

Thanks for any info on the nets.   

You can stay out all night on Chatfield. I'm not sure about CC. The Nets have bouyes on them but can be hard to see at night.

L

·
0 Posts
Nets have buoys which can be seen but must be watched for. You can't fish within 100' of the dams at both CC and Chatfield from March 15 to April 15. Of course, there are still other places to fish for the eyes at night in both lakes.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I was at Cherry Creek for a few hours last night...no luck...the water temp was a chilly 41 degrees...not much warm up this week...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks fellas, will see what the weather decides to do tomorrow. May stick close to home if it looks like this next front is going to be kicking out any significant snow fall, don't feel like driving back to boulder from down at Chat. or CC in a snow storm, boat in tow.

Probably check Boulder Res. in the am and wait and see. Thanks for the help on nets.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I may be wrong on this but I think that once the DOW starts netting, they keep at it until
they are finished.  I don't remember them taking the weekends off.  At any rate,  The
rule regarding not fishing within 100 feet of the dam is for one entire month. 

1 - 20 of 21 Posts