Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know when the water temps start reaching the 38 degree area, walleyes start moving into their spawning runs. With these crazy tempatures we are having this year do you walley experts think they are fixin to start staging for the pre-spawn? If temps drop again how bad will this throw off their cycles?
Should I start targeting walleye at Chatfield spillway this early or wait longer?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
The earliest I remember the actual spawn starting is about the first week of March ? I have also read that there is a minimum carrying time for the females so that the eggs mature?

If it stays mild, it would be a good idea to check prespawn area where they stage before actually spawning.

·
Registered
103 Posts
a real easy way to tell is head to the platte river bridge on the south side way after dark with a flashlight and have a look, you could be shocked

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
When you hear that people are starting to catch small males along the dam at Cherry Creek or Chatfield you know we are getting close.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Preparation for spawning is not just temperatur related. It's also related to day length (photoperiod). Warmer temperatures during winter and spring can cause fish to move around and feed more, regardless.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Usually around the 1st of April a huge wave of big females and smaller males ascend the Miracle Mile from Pathfinder Resevoir. Most awesome sight I have witnessed first hand :eek: During the day the pools below riffles were full of big females waiting for it to get dark, so they could swim up into the riffles to drop their load. We couldn't get the big girls to respond to anything, but we did cull some small males drifting crawlers thru.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I can always tell when the walleye are getting ready to spawn because they get almost impossible to catch. But the pre-spawn is a great time. I have good success down at Brush Hollow in Feb and right up until about mid-March. Then its like somebody flipped a switch and they won't hit anything-about the only way to get some then is off the dam-rocks at night. I think its more of an aggravation bite at that point.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
They are river spawners by nature if they have the option? If not, they drop there eggs in rocky area's with current.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I guess I should have figured that out.

Why don't they net them up there for eggs? Is the depth an issue? Do you know of a book that explains how these fish act?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Nutmg1 said:
Do you know of a book that explains how these fish act?
I picked up "Walleye Wisdom" by AL LINDER (and others) 2 weeks ago at Barnes and Noble. It is awesome! It's an In-Fisherman book first published in 1983, most recently printed in 2003. ISBN 0-929384-49-0 $13

https://store.primediamags.com/shop/in-fisherman/viewProduct/sa_id/33/pm_id/3738/offer_id/

This book describes behavior and fishing techniques for every time of the year, in different types of lakes and rivers. I can hardly wait to try some of this stuff when the fishing gets tough.

There are a few newer techniques like drop-shotting that are not mentioned, but it isn't hard to see where it might be appropriate to try.

This book is easy to read and designed for future reference (by season). I can hardly put it down. I'm thinking I should pick up other books in the series.

Anybody out there ever try drop-shotting for Walleyes ? Seems like it should work.

Fish-On Dudes......

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I bought it about 8 years ago when I decided to learn as much about walleye fishing as I could! It's a great learning tool!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
The thing you have to remember is the In'Fisherman series is geared toward the upper mid-west and southern Canada (ontario). Walleye out here in CO act differently in many significant ways. So take what they say but some of it doesn't apply or is different out here.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
kirby is right (although I don't know about the walleye). If you read their articles on how to ice trout, icing pike, and icing lakers, among other things, and apply them, you will almost certainly fail in our area.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Neal-I like the In-Fisherman book on walleye and have read it several times but for instance-there is nowhere in that book that it talks about walleye trying to spawn along a damface. Which is precisely where we collect the big females for eggs. But there is a great deal to be gained in general fish biology, life cycle, types of presentation, etc. I like the In-Fisherman series on all the species because they assume you know the basics and try to take you from there.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Good point! There is, in the section on flatland resevoirs a reference to walleye's using dams, rip rap, or rocky points to spawn if the inlet end lacks a large feeder stream, or the stream is silted in? They just described Bonny Res. and Cherry Creek

·
Registered
369 Posts
kirbydog said:
The thing you have to remember is the In'Fisherman series is geared toward the upper mid-west and southern Canada (ontario). Walleye out here in CO act differently in many significant ways. So take what they say but some of it doesn't apply or is different out here.
You are absolutely right Kirbydog, fishing is different here - usually much tougher, so some things work and others don't. I moved here 20 years ago from Minnesota and had to change how I fish. The "natural lake" fishing tips and techniques you see in magazines and books rarely apply.

20 years ago it was almost impossible to find leeches here, but the Walleyes here love them just like they always have in the midwest. They often outfish crawlers and minnows. Fortunately they are now more widely available here.

There is lots to learn about walleye behavior from this book, but the wisdom of the successful fishermen in this forum should be taken very seriously when it comes to techniques.

When all else fails, it never hurts to try locations and techniques that we "know" shouldn't work here. It sometimes beats the skunk, and always beats mowing the lawn.

Unfortunately we aren't going to see many books on Western Res. fishing - there are just not as many fishermen out here. There are even fewer pike, walleye, and muskie anglers.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts